Brake pedal returns slowly and partially

Hello.

After the first test drive in my TR3A, I have noticed the brake pedal a little soft, but what concerns me most is that after braking, the pedal does not return completely and does it slowly. The wheels remain braked, as well. All the return springs seem t be correctly installed, and the main piston rod clearance adjusted. I cannot see any leakage I the lines

I have fully reconditioned the brake system: new brake lines (pipes and hoses), new seals in the main cylinder and in the front calipers, and new rear cylinders and shoes. I have kept the check valve in the system.

Can the check-valve be the culprit?

I have read recommendations of removing the internals, but keeping it should probably work fine, as it was meant originally.

Any suggestion of the reason for this condition?

Thank you in advance.

Jesus

Hello.

After the first test drive in my TR3A, I have noticed the brake pedal a little soft, but what concerns me most is that after braking, the pedal does not return completely and does it slowly. The wheels remain braked, as well. All the return springs seem t be correctly installed, and the main piston rod clearance adjusted. I cannot see any leakage I the lines

I have fully reconditioned the brake system: new brake lines (pipes and hoses), new seals in the main cylinder and in the front calipers, and new rear cylinders and shoes. I have kept the check valve in the system.

Can the check-valve be the culprit?

I have read recommendations of removing the internals, but keeping it should probably work fine, as it was meant originally.

Any suggestion of the reason for this condition?

Thank you in advance.

Jesus

I would be inclined to remove the internals of the check valve and then try again. They do seize up if left on the shelf for a few years during a rebuild ;)

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

It will be either the master cylinder or the pressure maintaining valve and, because of the position of the pressure maintaining valve, one cannot say (it holds pressure on both front and rear brakes).

The pressure maintaining valve is more trouble than it's worth - so remove its innards!

If the problem remains after that, it's got to be the master cylinder.

Ian Cornish