30-35 thou is possible but the greater the plug gap the better your plug leads have to be  as otherwise the spark will be elsewhere. Also weak mixtures need a stronger spark and if its marginal then you'll get part throttle misfires when its running at its weakest.

Jim

My 6 is fitted with an unlabelled coil the outer case of which is blue lacquered. I've seen a sports coil with a gold lacquer. Does anyone have knowledge of blue lacquered coils as to whether it is a sports coil?

Mike, years ago I had fitted a light blue Bosch coil to my 6. Was supposed to have a higher output, but never noticed any difference. The same goes for the gold Lucas coil.

Show me the person who will notice a difference in coils.

Jean

I've seen a sports coil with a gold lacquer. Does anyone have knowledge of blue lacquered coils as to whether it is a sports coil?

I believe Lucas sports coils are gold, don't know about Bosch or other makes. As far as noticing the difference, don't know for sure but you will probably only notice it when it really matters most!

Jean a good sports coil (is Lucas good????) with wider plug gaps and depending on the car a slightly cooler plug will normally pick up a few BHP. I'll admit its not a lot but given the high cost of UK fuel everything is worthwhile. If you just change the coil and do nothing else then generally you wouldn't notice a difference as most standard ones are adequate to fire standard plugs at standard gaps. Before I rebuilt the V8 I ran standard late Rover electronic ignition with 1mm (40thou") plug gaps and it was very impressive, the new rebuild has a Mallory with twin points & Gold Lucas sports coil so it will be interesting to see the difference.

Jim

That's a whopping gap! For carburetted cars at least the factory specified gap was 0.025", or 0.6mm.  :o

Carburettor or injection, the method of fuel atomisation doesn’t make any difference as far as I know; it’s the size of the spark you can generate that dictates the plug gap you can run & the bigger the gap, the bigger the spark, the more efficient the burn is!