As the results of my last request were brilliant so I will try another. There is a very fine thread on the top end of my gear lever which I am unable to define. My new gear knob has a plastic insert which requires tapping hence the query.

John A.

I thought the idea of the plastic insert was that you could use it on any thread (within diameter limits) by simply screwing it onto the lever and allowing the lever thread to work as a tap.

I thought the idea of the plastic insert was that you could use it on any thread (within diameter limits) by simply screwing it onto the lever and allowing the lever thread to work as a tap.

That's the way to do it!

Always works for me, but make sure you start off straight, remember to back-up every few turns and don't go too fast ,otherwise the plastic will melt and clog the therads on the shaft.

That's the way to do it!

Always works for me, but make sure you start off straight, remember to back-up every few turns and don't go too fast ,otherwise the plastic will melt and clog the therads on the shaft.

To brian and Peejay

I did wonder about this method but felt the internal dia of plastic insert was a tad small but I will re-investigate

Thanks for the help John A.