Trouble levelling 4a body...

Hi all,

In order to do any more to the body, it needs to be levelled off....

So, first we've levelled the chassis side to side, then fore and aft, no problems there. Then put the recommended number of pads under the body, and that's also level side to side (haven't tried to see if its level fore and aft, not sure where would measure that). Problem is that on the passengers / RHS (LHD car) the floor sits nicely on the 2x rubber strips that we've put on the chassis...... OK so far, BUT the drivers / LHS floor is MILES away (OK about 2cm in places) from the chassis.....

Any ideas?

Our thinking is that we could bolt it down, and see if that makes it work, then stick the doors on and check it - or we could pack it out, then bolt it down and stick the doors on.... any advice gratefully received!

Chris

chris

I set my 4 up with all the correct packers after doing what you did levelling up the chassis as a start but then spent hours repacking each location to get the door gaps anywhere near right. did you check all the mounts were level to the chassis and each other, mine certainly were not,so it was a case of deciding to cut and weld or if not more than a couple of mm out leaving as is with extra shims. I would go with bolting the body to suit the gaps and see how the doors fit,be prepared to spend a few hours on this.

I have my body off the chassis to paint underneath and powder coat the chassis so even though i have noted all the packers i am not assuming its going back as before

regards adrian

Hi all,

In order to do any more to the body, it needs to be levelled off....

So, first we've levelled the chassis side to side, then fore and aft, no problems there. Then put the recommended number of pads under the body, and that's also level side to side (haven't tried to see if its level fore and aft, not sure where would measure that). Problem is that on the passengers / RHS (LHD car) the floor sits nicely on the 2x rubber strips that we've put on the chassis...... OK so far, BUT the drivers / LHS floor is MILES away (OK about 2cm in places) from the chassis.....

Any ideas?

Our thinking is that we could bolt it down, and see if that makes it work, then stick the doors on and check it - or we could pack it out, then bolt it down and stick the doors on.... any advice gratefully received!

Chris

Have the floors been replaced? If original then its very usual to find the drivers side has sunk with continual use ;) Sometimes new floors will warp a bit and dont sit down right until a seat has been fitted and some weight on it for a while. You have to be careful trying to get the floors to sit directly onto the rubber strips as by the time all the main mounts are done up tight you can end up with a hump in the floor where the legs are. To check fore and aft level you should be able to get a rough check by an average of the top of each sill and the tops of the footwell sides where the master cylinders and wiper motor sit and the rear parcel shelf. Also bear in mind that the rubber packers these days will compress a lot more compared to the original rubber/canvas ones. Do not be tempted to try altering any of the panel gaps by removing or adding shims as you will find that you get problems with door catches lining up or panel edges misaligned. Alteration in the numbers of packers should only be used to dial out anomalies in the chassis mounts or body mounting brackets. Be careful as well that you dont end up with too much of the rear chassis legs visible under the rear valance. You are better off bolting down tight on all the mounts (including fitting a couple of bolts in the "H" section floor mounts) so every mount is strained up tight and then taking levels and a trial fit of all outer panels as this will give you a better idea of where to go from there. Panel gaps should be altered individually with them all fitted.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi,

Check that the reinforcing brackets welded to the underside of the floor / inner sills haven't got hooked up on the chassis brackets when the body has been put back on. Sometimes its difficult to see but will prevent the body fitting onto the frame properly.(The floors of the body should drop fully onto the frame without any fixings in place as the body is so flexible.)

If the shell has had new floors / sill brackets the risk of this is massively increased.

Alternatively you could have done what I did and left a hammer on top of the chassis........

Hope this helps

Regards, Chris