Hi All,

Due to have a re-spray job in the next few months on my 1964 TR4. The original colour is black (11). I'am not a big fan of black and was looking at either conifer greeen, midnight blue or new white. I havent seen alot of black TR4's especially at the international weekend recently. Do you know if the colour was only introduced on a selected number of vehicles or is simply that owners have resprayed their black cars to a colour of their choice?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi All,

Due to have a re-spray job in the next few months on my 1964 TR4. The original colour is black (11). I'am not a big fan of black and was looking at either conifer greeen, midnight blue or new white. I havent seen alot of black TR4's especially at the international weekend recently. Do you know if the colour was only introduced on a selected number of vehicles or is simply that owners have resprayed their black cars to a colour of their choice?

Thanks,

Dan

Black wasnt that rare but so many have been repainted to either powder blue to look like a works car or red because it was popular that you dont see many now. If the car is dead straight then black looks stunning . My personal favourite is Royal Blue (Midnight blue)

Stuart.

Hi Dan, Whilst I am of the view that it is your car and you should paint it whatever colour you like best, you may like to know before you decide, that Royal blue, or midnight blue as you call it, was not an option on the TR4. It only became available for the TR4a -6. Conifer green was only available from January 63 and New White from March 63 so both would be correct for your age of car. There weren't any dark blue colours available on teh TR4.

The colour is such a personal thing that it's not possible to give advice. Some say that having it painted in a none standard colour adversely affects the value but I would have thought the quality of the paint work was more important unless it was a very unusual colour. I like the pastel colours, so was pleased when I discovered my TR4 was originally powder blue, but as Stuart suggests there seem to be a lot more powder blue ones around now than when I had mine repainted 15 years ago.

thanks Trev, I think I have to re-consider my royal blue colour in that case. Thanks again

Daniel,

I fully support the contention that "it's your car and you can

paint it whatever colour you like". No need to worry about

comments from anyone else, and no need to worry about

re-sale value 'cos you'll never sell anyway, will you?!

But - and maybe it's the purist in me - cars just seem to look

better in an original colour.

Easy when it's a delicious 3 in Salvador Blue, but I even find

myself loving a TR2 in original Geranium (salmon pink to the

rest of us).

With an early TR4, colours were very limited, for trim as well

as bodywork.

Black isn't for everyone, but you can use red trim, which looks

gorgeous. For me, black trim doesn't set off any car very well,

whatever the body colour, but that's just my taste.

It's probably the most popular trim colour.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

My recently acquired TR4A is black – which is its original colour. Although I’m a fan of darker colours (especially dark blues) black wasn’t high on my wish list before I got the car. However now I wouldn’t change it. Not just because it is the original colour but because I really like it and have had nothing but positive comments from people that have seen it.

The interior is matador red (again as original) and I have to agree with TR2100 that a red interior is a great combination with black paintwork. :)

Thanks, had a good think and I will probably keep it original

in black with black interior cards and red carpets as original.

Black should go well with my wires. thanks again, dan

Just for reference, TR4s had medium/dark grey loop pile carpet

and with a rubber mat (not overlay) in the front footwells.

(not suggesting you should follow).

AlanR

All,

Quick Question, does black show up dirt and scratches say more than other colours?

Thanks

Dan

Fraid so :(;)

Stuart

All,

Quick Question, does black show up dirt and scratches say more than other colours?

Also the trim is black (Matador Red) is is Black Interior Cards with Red Carpets?

Thanks

Dan

Black can look fabulous but even the micro-scratches from

polishing show up. Polishing a dark colour is an art. You

even have to be careful what fabric you use for polishing.

Not sure exactly what you mean by your question - a typo,

maybe?

If the trim is black, then it's all black, except the carpet

which was, for the TR4, always dark grey whatever the trim

colour.

AlanR

I like dark colours on TRs (my 4A is Royal Blue) which I think has a lot to do with the contrast with the chrome. However I think the 4, with its smaller amount of wing chrome than the 4A, actually looks better in powder blue/yellow/white/red.

Agree though that black with red trim does look very good.

Andy