Hello folks, I am new member, I have just taken possession of a very nice tr4A it has a minilite wooden steering wheel. The horn activates sporadically when I turn the wheel? The horn does not work when I press the button?

I had a similar problem with my TR4. Essentially, you are shorting the horn circuit with you electrically conductive Moto-Lita wheel boss! The original Bakelite wheel is a pretty good insulator....

The horn should be operated by a "horn pencil", a spring-loaded contact which goes through the wheel boss and is activated by the horn push. If this is missing, you need to order one from Moss or similar. As for the wheel itself shorting out the horn contacts, I adopted a "pragmatic" apporach (not exactly Vorsprung durch Technik....): a ring cut out of glossy-surfaced card, placed between the wheel boss and the contact strip on the column (don't forget to make a hole for the horn pencil, and to fix the position of the "washer" with a drop of glue!). Alternatively, you could extend the column slightly to increase the gap between wheel and column.

Good luck!

Regards,

CJG

Thanks CJG I will try that WJAB

I had a similar problem with my TR4. Essentially, you are shorting the horn circuit with you electrically conductive Moto-Lita wheel boss! The original Bakelite wheel is a pretty good insulator....

The horn should be operated by a "horn pencil", a spring-loaded contact which goes through the wheel boss and is activated by the horn push. If this is missing, you need to order one from Moss or similar. As for the wheel itself shorting out the horn contacts, I adopted a "pragmatic" apporach (not exactly Vorsprung durch Technik....): a ring cut out of glossy-surfaced card, placed between the wheel boss and the contact strip on the column (don't forget to make a hole for the horn pencil, and to fix the position of the "washer" with a drop of glue!). Alternatively, you could extend the column slightly to increase the gap between wheel and column.

Good luck!

Regards,

CJG

Hi

I had a similar problem with my TR6 - not sure if the 4A is the same set up.

My problem was that the steering column needed to be secured a little better than it was. Just one of the brackets needed tightening as far as I remember. My horn always worked on the centre push, but sometimes when I turned (especially when reversing where I pulled on the steering wheel) the horn sounded.

Don't know if this helps.

Cheers

Roger

This is a common fault usually remedied by:

1 - Slide the inner steering column out a bit further to give you a bit more clearance on the wheel/ outer column.

2 - Replace the steering column bushes.

Cheers

Adey

Thanks Adey, will try that, I have also found that I cant get the outer column to stop turning. I have tried tightening the U clamp under the facia but this does not work, this of course means that the light,overdrive and indicator mechanisms all move when operated!!