Bosch Pump cut out.......

Hi All,

I would appreciate any thoughts on the following.

En route to CLM,air temperature in excess 34 degrees, half tank fuel in ally tank, bosch pump

mounted in wheel arch, supplied with feed from relay and fat cable, brand new filters pre and post.

Stopped for lunch, had left back end of car out in the sun,a hour pit stop. :mellow:

Drove car off down the road for a few miles no problems, still very hot. Came across slow traffic,

which was due to roadworks. :angry:

About to pull off car cuts out and i coast to the side. I felt the pump, slightly warm , nothing unusual.

But when i felt the ally tank it was roasting hot. :blink:

Fortunately there was a garage within fifty feet, after ten mins i was able to start the car, sufficiently enough to complete a U turn and coast the car onto the forecourt. Topped tank back up to full, car started first time perfectly and no further problem, clearly the cool fuel reduced the temperature of the fuel already in the tank.

So whats caused this problem, is it simply the ally tank and fuel got so hot?

Is there a product i could apply to tank to reflect heat?

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Hi Guy,

thermal insulation foil, the usual stuff as in building and diy insulation, does a pretty good job of reducing external heat input to the tank - it's always a problem with a dark TR6

It also helps to insulate the fuel pipes underbonnet, and to add cooling fins to the fuel return pipe.

See this recent discussion - http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=24752

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Guy,

thermal insulation foil, the usual stuff as in building and diy insulation, does a pretty good job of reducing external heat input to the tank - it's always a problem with a dark TR6

It also helps to insulate the fuel pipes underbonnet, and to add cooling fins to the fuel return pipe.

See this recent discussion - http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=24752

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec,

Thanks for the above, most helpful.

Also thinking of a madern heat reflective paint <_<

Cheers

Guy

Guy, in general the fuel lines run along the exhaust pipes over quite a length, I do not know if your lines have been moved or insulated yet ;) I believe most heat of the tank originates from the fuel being pumped around along the exhaust pipes. I have seen persons redirecting the fuel lines through the interior along the inner sills.

I never had the problem recently, but for years I was thinking about running an isolation shield under the car between the fuel lines and the exhaust pipes. Be aware SS pipes even radiate more heat :angry: