Hi all

I think I've just discovered the hard way that the teflon coated splined driveshafts from Proptech Ltd do not use standard size UJs.I can't remember if all 4 UJs were supplied with the shafts as I've had them on the car for 4 years.Does anyone know which ones I need, the standard spiders are about 6mm short.

Thanks

Cameron

Hi Roger

)

Yes I've had two different UJs fitted and having measured the UJs cap to cap (75mm) and measured the distance between the inner clip grooves (81mm),you can see my problem.I have one shaft and hub off at present and when you place the inner shaft yoke against the hub yoke the difference is obvious. So it appears that the outer UJs are standard and the inner ones are larger.

Cameron

Sounds like you have same or similar driveshafts to me. I had to replace the outer ujs recently as I updated the rear hubs. I'd forgotten the UJ's were different sizes (the driveshafts are 10 or 12 years old!). The driveshafts themsleves are uprated type from TR Enterprises and the splines are covered with a blue coating. I think they said they were from a TVR, but I could be wrong.

Anyway I spoke to Simon at TR ENterprises and the inners are larger and the outers are standard size, to fit within the hole in the trailing arm. I measured them as 75mm and 80mm.

He sent me a pair of GKN UJS and they worked fine.

I would strongly advise getting the GKN/Hardy Spicer UJ's. The ones I took off were perfectly fine apart from the fact I destroyed the bearing cages - due to my poor efforts in removing them.

The UJ's have done over 10,000 miles and have a hard time from my right foot and the uprated engine (150BHP at the rear wheels). I think they were about £25 each.

Mark.

Hi Mark,

you mention that the UJ's lead a hard life :(

If you consider their environment it is quite nice really.

The whole assembly spins around quite fast BUT the needle bearings don't necessarily have to move at all.

It is only when the drive shaft and hub are not in alingment that bearing movement takes place (which is probably most of the time).

Needle bearings are used to spread the load but they don't roll very much (which they don't like).

Would a plain bush be better? :mellow:

Putting grease in helps a great deal but as the bearing is affectively a point contact (on the longish side) the grease is limited in what it can do.

Would elastic dough nuts be better (is there such a thing)

Roger