Hi All,

Have a friend who through a motor bike accident lost a leg(not his fault) and he is looking at classic cars.He has an adaptive modern to drive and wants something classic.I know Dave lightning Brown did this many years ago before he passed away,but have no details.Jerry of Enginuity is looking into it.

How easy is it to convert?.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

Edited by harrytr5

i would have thought it was pretty straight forward to fit

a autobox/flywheel/torque convertor from a saloon or stag.

the only problems i can think of are

the rear flange to prop shaft would be different.

piping up and fitting the oil cooler.

kick down cable.

richard

I think the engine on the saloon is mounted at angle (10 degrees or so) compared to the TR so I think a bit of modification to the engine mounts / bell housing may be needed as well as gearbox mounts.

It has been done a few times, Lightning's being the best known example before he moved on to Porsche scaring TR7 V8 autos.

Hi Harry,

I think Karl had a hand in Dave's 6 auto, he's still at Rev's why not give him a call - he may recall detail ?

After he'd finished the exercise, Dave cursed fluently about not having taken up my suggestion of using an available saloon PI engine c/w auto box - there was one locally for not a lot at the time. Evidently it would have been more straightforward than adapting the slush pump to the 6 lump.

As Dave and I frequently agreed subsequently, converting the 6 was an idiotic exercise and a waste of time, effort and money. A TR7V8 auto was a much better, cheaper and easier proposition - the V8 suits the auto box much better than does the PI6. We all live and learn the hard way.

Cheers,

Alec

Hello Harry,

There was a story about a shiftless six in the edition #26 june/july 1999 of "Triumph World". A bloke at USA California replaced a manual gearbox by a automatic gearbox for his father,who had a stroke.

Nice work!!!!

Regards,

Frans