Hello,

I have purchased a replacement fuel pump which appears to be a close copy of the original AC product. There is one difference, however. The rocker arm which engages with the camshaft is a laminate of two pieces of metal riveted together rather than the one piece casting used on the original pump.

Has anyone fitted one of these replacement parts........what is the running experience so far? Is the new design for the rocker arm camshaft friendly? Do I worry too much?

Kind regards,

Scott

most replacement fuel pumps nowadays have the laminated arm. They are interconnected with some sort of rivet. Some of the rivets are know to come loose... If you perform a search on the forum you'll find additional info about this. Somehow, I remember that there are people who sercured this (hollow) rivet using a small tie-wrap. I don't know if I would suggest this to you as a permanent solution. I really don't know how the tie wrap material holds up in an environment like the inside of a TR engine!

if you are uncertain about it, you could try to rebuild the orignal pump, using the original lever, or even switch to an electric fuel pump, blanking the hole in the side of the engine.

fwiw: I run my car with the same pump you have bought.

Menno

Blimey, some mothers do have 'em, nothing like tempting fate . . . .

Andrew's next post - " how do I remove the half pump arm that my engine has ingested, and why is the water frothing and oily and the oil pressure reading not a lot, meanwhile it's clattering something rotten . . . ?" ;):lol:

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Scott,

Given a choice I would repair the old one.

I fitted a replacement with the laminated arm a couple of years ago (which was bought at the international) and decided after a couple of months to go for an electric pump. Quite suprised at how worn the heel of the arm had become, looked like quite soft material compared with the hardened pad of the original.

Of course I don't know how long it would have lasted, but I'm glad I changed it!

Malcolm T

..........meanwhile it's clattering something rotten . . . ?" ;):lol: Cheers, Alec

Come to think of it Mr P, it could be the fuel pump lever arm that causing the clattering - and there I was thinking it was the brakes! :rolleyes: .............and maybe that's why my fuel consumption is high? :)

Cheers

Andrew

:unsure:

..........meanwhile it's clattering something rotten . . . ?" ;):lol: Cheers, Alec

Come to think of it Mr P, it could be the fuel pump lever arm that causing the clattering - and there I was thinking it was the brakes! :rolleyes: .............and maybe that's why my fuel consumption is high? :)

Cheers

Andrew

:unsure:

Hello,

I have purchased a replacement fuel pump which appears to be a close copy of the original AC product. There is one difference, however. The rocker arm which engages with the camshaft is a laminate of two pieces of metal riveted together rather than the one piece casting used on the original pump.

Has anyone fitted one of these replacement parts........what is the running experience so far? Is the new design for the rocker arm camshaft friendly? Do I worry too much?

Kind regards,

Scott

Thank you all for the very kind and helpful replies. I will consider all this useful info. and make a decision. But, advice on the following (sorry to ask) would help:

I did in fact begin to refurbish an original pump last year. However, when I dismantled it I found excessive play between the rocker arm and the rocker arm pin. I don't know if it is the rocker arm pivot hole that is worn or the pin (where does this wear usually occur?). Perhaps a first step would be to acquire a new pin (from where?)and then compare the dia. of the new and "old" pins with a vernier caliper. Has anyone rebuilt one of these pumps to eliminate the excessive rocker play? I guess my gut feeling is to try and refurbish and fit the original pump and return the repro. one, or add it to my growing spares package for the CLM trip.

Just popping out to vote, best wishes and thanks again,

Scott

Hi Scott,

As I said before, just ask Dave of "Bearing in mind" what you need.

I'm almost sure he can help you with a new pin and all the other original things you might need.

Just visit: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carljdavies/Bearing2.htm or dave@bearinginmind.co.uk

I did mine (with his parts) as well last winter, it's in perfect order and original again !

Regards - Raymond

Hi Scott,

As I said before, just ask Dave of "Bearing in mind" what you need.

I'm almost sure he can help you with a new pin and all the other original things you might need.

Just visit: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carljdavies/Bearing2.htm or dave@bearinginmind.co.uk

I did mine (with his parts) as well last winter, it's in perfect order and original again !

Regards - Raymond