Hi

Still making progress with the rewire and got to the horns, was really pleased when I got them working only to be dismayed to find that after a few "parps" the gave up. Checked I was getting juice to them and was ok, but no sound, do you think I need to lubricate something, I dont think they have worked for 30 years???

Keith

Hi There,

Probably worth dismantling and reassembling as the core cylinder vibrates( its surrounded by a coil ), as I recall and triggers a set of points on a spring steel leaf which is adjusted by a set screw. You need to make sure

no grot, or rust dust is obstructing the moving parts and clean the points with a fine points file or fine emery paper.

They can be made to be pretty loud!

REgards

Bill G

When I dismantled my horns in 1988 during the restoration of my 1958 TR3A, I found that the trumpet outlets on both horns were jammed packed with sand and small gravel all cemented into the outlets with dried and hardened rock salt from driving during the slushy and salty winters of 1963 to 1972. I had stored the TR the first four winters before 1963. The gravel came from all the rallies I did from 1959 to 1965.

I took them apart as suggested above, chipped out the salt, sand and gravel and got them working again. I have had no issues in the past 20 years - but I no longer drive in rallies on gravel roads, nor do I drive the TR during our salty and slushy Canadian winters.

The horns need to be set up and adjusted in a specific way, even mounted correctly before adjustments can be made. The workshop manual is very detailed in how to do this. However, once cleaned and adjusted they will be fine. Lets face it, how many modern horns can you adjust! A warning. It's a bit like tuning a piano. Premature deafness can occur!

Cheers, peterm