Alternator wiring

Just put the alternator on my 5 after a rebuild. I also have a new loom. The old loom didnt have an earth for the loom but this one does. Two questions then, should I connect the earth and if so where on the alternator does it go. In addition I have been told that I shouldnt earth stuff on the engine so whats the standard place for the earth.

Finally the feed to the alternator charging light in the dash has a spade connector thats too small for any of the terminals on the alternator. I can readily change it if someone can advise whichj terminal it goes on.

The alternator is a upgarde ACR 18 from Moss. On the side nearest the engine are 1 medium and 2 large connectors and a small connector on the other side.

Thanks in anticipation

robin

Just put the alternator on my 5 after a rebuild. I also have a new loom. The old loom didnt have an earth for the loom but this one does. Two questions then, should I connect the earth and if so where on the alternator does it go. In addition I have been told that I shouldnt earth stuff on the engine so whats the standard place for the earth.

Finally the feed to the alternator charging light in the dash has a spade connector thats too small for any of the terminals on the alternator. I can readily change it if someone can advise whichj terminal it goes on.

The alternator is a upgarde ACR 18 from Moss. On the side nearest the engine are 1 medium and 2 large connectors and a small connector on the other side.

Thanks in anticipation

robin

The alternator is earthed through its frame.

The two large connectors are for the output, They are joined together in most ACR alternators.

The smaller connector is for the warning lamp. The other side of this lamp connects to the White wires in the ignition circuit. The warning lamp is an integral part of the alternator control circuit and should be a 3Watt 12 Volt incandescent lamp. (DO NOT replace it with an LED).

Good luck

TT

Tony thanks. The warning lamp then is the third connector above the two large output connectors or the one on the other side of the alternator, ie opposite to the engine and the output connectors. I only ask because there is a smaller connector above the two large outputs which is where I thought the warning lamp went.

Thanks anyway

Regards

Robin

Tony thanks. The warning lamp then is the third connector above the two large output connectors or the one on the other side of the alternator, ie opposite to the engine and the output connectors. I only ask because there is a smaller connector above the two large outputs which is where I thought the warning lamp went.

Thanks anyway

Regards

Robin

Robin,

The AMP plug connects to the two large common output connectors and the small connector for the warning lamp. That is all you need to wire up.

I think you are talking about the perpendicular internal smaller connector you can see through the slot in the cover which is also common to the warning lamp connection and you can ignore. Underneath you can see the internal connection to the warning lamp connector, i.e. this is a three way common connector.

Stan

Ps. Have you tried swapping the wires on the wiper motor and thus maybe save yourself a 100 Pounds.

Edited by smizgals

Sods law. Got the wiper motor all working and both speeds (albeit thre was no detecatble diference). adjusted the arms that connect to the wiper blades and today nothing is working. The electrict are as they were but no action today. Took it all out again and checked everything, all seem the same but the motor is 'dead'. Yes it has power and nothing is jammed etc. Anyway aptience is limited so left it and fitted rear wings and doors. I'll start thinking again re the pump, its now noisy so hints at starvation although all is a s before.

Regards

Robin