More problems re-assembling front suspension

Having reamed out the various bushes, I thought I was on the home straight when it came to re-assembly of the front suspension - wrong!

I have bought some spax adjustable shosk absorbers from Moss and the knuled wheel that is used for adjustment is too big to go through the hole in the bottom spring pan. Having studied it from every direction it looks like the only solution will be to remove the adjuster knob (by loosening the socket head screw that retains it) so that the spindle can fit up through the spring pan. I will also have to grind away part of the spring locating flange in the spring pan and make a similar cut out in the bottom spring pad so that I can refit the adjuster knob once everything is in its right place.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Rgds Ian

PS the added joy is that I discovered this moments after complimenting myself on a fairly pain free exercise in compressing the spring and getting it bolted up to the wishbones.

Having reamed out the various bushes, I thought I was on the home straight when it came to re-assembly of the front suspension - wrong!

I have bought some spax adjustable shosk absorbers from Moss and the knuled wheel that is used for adjustment is too big to go through the hole in the bottom spring pan. Having studied it from every direction it looks like the only solution will be to remove the adjuster knob (by loosening the socket head screw that retains it) so that the spindle can fit up through the spring pan. I will also have to grind away part of the spring locating flange in the spring pan and make a similar cut out in the bottom spring pad so that I can refit the adjuster knob once everything is in its right place.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Rgds Ian

PS the added joy is that I discovered this moments after complimenting myself on a fairly pain free exercise in compressing the spring and getting it bolted up to the wishbones.

Ian had similar a while ago on a TR2 fitting Gaz adjustables as they have a knurled knob (OOer painful) and I had to relieve a little of the lower pan the same. though I managed to get them to fit without removing the knob, with them fully compressed I fiddled them in and then caught the top nut and pulled them back down to fit lower mount. Ba****d of a job but managed it in the end. It is also difficult to adjust them when fitted as well, needs a tyre lever to pry the coils apart and then a pair of long nose pliers to grip the nut. I prefer the old type Spax with the screw adjust but even they are quite difficult to get at. Still easier than Konis that need to be removed to adjust.

Stuart

Ian had similar a while ago on a TR2 fitting Gaz adjustables as they have a knurled knob (OOer painful) and I had to relieve a little of the lower pan the same. though I managed to get them to fit without removing the knob, with them fully compressed I fiddled them in and then caught the top nut and pulled them back down to fit lower mount. Ba****d of a job but managed it in the end. It is also difficult to adjust them when fitted as well, needs a tyre lever to pry the coils apart and then a pair of long nose pliers to grip the nut. I prefer the old type Spax with the screw adjust but even they are quite difficult to get at. Still easier than Konis that need to be removed to adjust.

Stuart

Thanks for this Stuart - I haven't had a chance to try it out yet - work gets in the way!

Rgds Ian