TR3A Carpet installation

I have just received my carpet set (Post 60,000) but obviously there is no indication at all!

I have ordered also the fixing kit and the mats.

I have read the excellent book "how to restore" but this is no drawing or indication on where to install the 16 "pressure buttons", the washer cups and all these kind of things. :o

Is anyone can help me?

no drawing or indication on where to install the 16 "pressure buttons", the washer cups and all these kind of things. :o

Hi Philippe,

If you have fitted new floors etc, then it doesn't really

matter where they go, although it would be worthwhile to

check another car to get them in more or less the right place.

Remember that originally the 2/3 series (and early 4s at least)

only had a rubber mat at the front.

If you haven't replaced the floors and scuttle side panels,

then check where the holes are and fit the press fastenings

accordingly.

Carpets under the seats had nothing. Carpet along the sill

was glued. Front carpets had two each side at the front and

hooked under a lift-up spring clip on the bulkhead.

Side carpets had three (I think) self tappers with cups up

the A post, another two (one top, one bottom) next to the

bulkhead.

Rear carpet I can't quite recall. I think two press fasteners,

one each side, on the top. I think the bottom just hung over,

but it may have had a self tapper in each corner.

That doesn't quite add up to the 16 press fastenings you mention

- maybe the kit changes what was originally just a self tapper

with cup for a press fastener.

AlanR

To fit most of the standard repro carpet sets that are around now I usually fit six fasteners to each front footwell carpet as these are the ones that will move around the most. Two up on the toe boards, two at the front of the floors and two at the rear just in front of where they meet the rear carpet. The seat runners hold the rear carpets down but I usually put a pair in each carpet at the rear behind the seats. The footwell side carpets are usually glued not forgetting to fit the furflex draught excluder first(most of the repro kits don't have any hard backing so they can be screwed on nor do they include the hockey stick sections for the earlier cars)as is the rear prop shaft cover and the rear parcel shelf cover. The main tunnel carpet if it is one piece (As most repros are) is clipped down either side with three or four clips to try and get some shape into it. When gluing the centre bulkhead piece above the tunnel don't glue it to the tunnel cover as you will want to remove it at some time in the future ;)

The better bespoke carpet kits may be different as the correct original tunnel cover came in five pieces.

Stuart.

Phillipe, it's worth putting a couple of layers of sound deadening material over the transmission tunnel before the carpet, to cut gearbox noise.

I just leave it loose and fix the carpet to the sides of the tunnel down near the floor. That should still leave a flap of transmission tunnel carpet that sits down on the floor to continue the colour beneath the floor carpets.

If you have the one piece tunnel carpet that Stuart mentions, sound deadening material can be used as a packer to even out any bulges.

I also glue sound deadener to the underside of the front floor carpets, so it can be lifted out with the carpet if necessary for drying out. Not so much for cutting road noise, but to give the carpet a better feel by evening out the swages in the metal floor.

Regards,

Viv.

Thanx to all,

I just finished the carpet installation. 4 "clips" on the transmission tunnel carpet (they were already in place) and 2 clips each on the front carpets. I will survey if they move but they feel well in place.

I bought this car without any carpet and drove it since 3 years. This was the final touch to complete the restauration.

She looks now more like a Jaguar or an Aston than a Triumph..... :rolleyes: