Hey Guys. I got my new tires and went for a drive in the country Saturday, with the club.

I replaced the 195s that were on the car. I wanted to put on 165s, but the dealer only had 3. He had a new supply of 155s (Vredestein), at $30 cheaper, so I got a full set of them. I was afraid that they would look strange, but they do not. After all, they were the original size tire on the TR2s and 3s.

As soon as I turned the steering wheel, I noticed a big difference. There is a lot less rubber on the road, as the wheel turned as if it were power steering!

So, out on our drive over some real windy roads, I was following a TR-6 and watching its independent rear suspension work. We came up on a turn pretty quickly. I made the turn OK, but the car did about a 6-inch 4-wheel drift. My passenger didn't even notice it, but I peed down both legs. One of the guys behind me saw it and said, "That George really knows what he is doing." Yeah, right.

So, I have had my first - and last - 4-wheel drift. It is a beautiful car. Our club is mostly TR6 owners. All the wives tell me how they love my car! (Conversely, the TR6 husbands are not great fans of the sidecurtain TRs.)

Well, our South Central VTR Regionals are in 2 weeks, in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. (Where the winds come sweeping down the plain.) I will enter the Concours, as they have a Modified class. "Modified" is putting it mildly...

I love my Vredesteins so far. They are real big over here. How about over there?

Edited by TR3BGeorge

Vredesteins are great. Most classics overhere in Holland have them on. Vredestein is a Dutch company. They are really great in the classic car scene and they are also very big in producing Mud&Snow and Winter tyres. There winter tyres are sold to most luxury cars overhere on the Continent (Scandinavia, Germany, Holland, Swiss etc).

They also have a winter tyre for classic cars. They also endorse the Winter Trial Classic Rally. Have a look at Vredestein The website is in Dutch, but you can choose your language.

Menno

When I put four new 165 - 15 Vredesteins on my 1958 TR3A in late 2004, I noticed how much better they were compared to the two previous sets of tyres I had been running on. The grip in curves was so much better. I got 43,000 miles from my Michelins from 1990 to 2001. Then I only got about 40,000 miles from my Kelly-Springfields and now have about 20,000 miles on the Vredesteins. They have been on the TR for five summers and it seems that about half the rubber is still there.

Menno - You forgot to mention the tyres they make for bicycles too. Isn't that how they started ? Kind of like Triumphs started as a bicycle manufacturer.

I have recently replaced my aged tyres with 165 Vredestein sprint classics and the car has been transformed on the road. On a recent spirited drive back from Wales I too was following a group of Tr6's around some challenging corners and the car stuck like glue (who need independent suspension ) The car is very standard and I suspect to go any wider than 165 could cause further mods to wheel arches etc, very happy with my Dutch tyres.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't find a Vredestein dealer in New England. I'd love to find one in tax-free New Hampshire, but no luck. Are most of you getting your Sprint Classics online?

Bob Brennan

TS 24528

Hi Bob,

There's a guy who sells them on ebay - that's where my summer tyres came from (Vredestein Sprint Classics - I'm a fan!). He appears to have locations in Tennesee and California - as well as Kelowna, BC where he shipped from to Toronto. Here's a link to the ones I got for my TR4:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/165HR15-VREDESTEIN-Sprint-Classic-BLACKWALL-RADIAL-TIRE-/260387383027?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ca04c26f3

However, when i was looking for Winter tyres (Vredestein Snow+ - I'm a fan of those too...) I called Vredestein in NY: 732 549 2440. They wouldn't sell direct to me, a consumer, but put me in touch with a dealer. As I'm in Toronto, the closest dealer was in Dayton, Ohio - Bill Pfiefer(?) at Tires Unlimited: 937 275 8000.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if they know of someone closer to you.

Either way, I would recommend starting with Vredestein in NY or going the ebay route.

Hope this helps,

Tim

Edited by TorontoTim

Thanks Tim - I'll give NY a call. I wonder where all the VW Beetle owners (with the same size tire needs) in New England are going?

Bob

Bob - I think the older VW owners have been buying Springfield-Kelly 165-15s. I ran on these because they were cheap and the only size in town were these. Cost me $38.00 each (mounted and balanced) in Cedar Falls in central Iowa on my drive to VTR in Breconridge south of Aspen and Vail, Colorado back in 2001. Don't try these. The Vredesteins are much better.

Don, $38 certainly appeals to the cheapskate in me, but I really like the looks of the Sprint Classics. I'm running Michelins presently that have plenty of tread, but they also have plenty of years. The best deal I've found so far is the aforementioned Ohio dealer - $99/free shipping. Vermont Tire wants $105 plus sales tax and you have to drive to Montpelier. The eBay dealer wants $115 plus $19 shipping. Haven't received a reply from Direct Tire in Mass. yet.

BTW, how did you ever fit all your gear in on that Colorado trip? No luggage rack, no bulges - did you even bother with side curtains or changing socks?

Bob

Bob - I had all my cooking, tenting and camping gear in the footwell, luggage etc in the rear and in the boot. Yes I had to have my top and sidecurtains for the concours show. I was awarded 2nd in class just behind a chap who had trailered his just-restored (professionally) TR3A 160 miles from Denver. No mechanical problems during that 5300 mile trip except for the Michelins started to suffer from ply separation in Michigan. They had been on the TR3A for 11 years and 53,000 miles. Convoyed alone with no mobile phone or CB. Oh ! Except for about 90 miles, I was convoying with a 100-car yellow and red Union Pacific double-decker container-freight train pulled by 5 huge diesel engines. The track follows the North Platte River through Nebraska right along side the secondary rural highway. Every town where I had to slow down, he would get ahead of me. Then I'd catch up to him again doing about 85 - 90 MPH. Then we'd honk and toot at each other. I imagined that I was no longer alone. I felt like "Thomas the Friendly Engine".

That's the year they awarded me the Ken Richardson trophy which he was given after the TR3S cars did so well at Le Mans.

Edited by Don Elliott

Bob, your $99/free shipping sounds like the best deal going. Our guy here in Fort Worth is $95 PLUS shipping. He sold me my 155s for $68 each, plus $8 per tube. I found a Goodyear store around the corner from me that mounts (including tubes) and balances wire wheels for $28 (14 mount 14 balance). So, on the road and running smoothly, it costs me 68 + 8 + 28 = $104 per tire. I am happy.