The car when filled up smells strongly of petrol. This seems to come from the vent under the rear wing. Is it perhaps a standard solution to fit some form of non return valve. Thanks David Johnson

The car when filled up smells strongly of petrol. This seems to come from the vent under the rear wing. Is it perhaps a standard solution to fit some form of non return valve. Thanks David Johnson

David, If you mean a fuel shut off, that's probably not a bad idea, but it would seem to me that you have a leak. It doesn't take much of a leak to give a strong odor. Since this feeds by gravity, a full tank will leak more than an empty one. Tom

David, I'm glad you found it. I just had the same problem; the PO told me that it ALWAYS stunk right after filling up the tank. It got so bad that we took a look at it. After removing the rear seat back and the front boot panel, the problem was obvious: there was moisture around the sender gasket. We took it off to take a look at it, and there was NO GASKET! Just some "gasket maker" **** that had turned to goo. New gasket solved the problem.

Remember to unhook your battery power when you are messing around back there.

Thanks Tom. I have since found out it was the sender which was not sealed on top of the tank. As you say a small but smelly leak. Thanks David J.

Dear David, many thanks for raising the query of the petrol smell. I TRavel on aeroscreens most of the time and I always thought that the smell of petrol after filling up came from the front of the car. I have now just changed the sender gasket and the smell has gone! What really surprised me was that I actually had a new cork gasket on the garage shelf!

Many thanks again

JohnS