Screen Washers

I recently bought a well restored 1967 Surrey 4A which has had little use during the past 18 months. Fortunately it has been dry stored but still a few niggles to sort. With an MOT upcoming thought I would test everything and currently trying to sort the washers. While there is a good flow on the passenger side, nothing forthcoming drivers side. I have cleared the jets from the outside but presume there must be deposit somewhere in the system from a long period of storage. Does washer additive work or does anyone have any bright ideas. The sadist who designed the system seems to have left little room for access, or am I missing a trick.

Hi Rod,

fancy buying a car in which your hands don't fit :)

Unfortunately they are a bit of a devil.

The problem appears to be between the 'T' piece and the nozzel.

To gain access to the 'T' piece you may need to remove the big nut on the R/H wiper assembly pull out the nozzle assembly. This may expose the 'T' piece in the air intake plenum chamber.

The pipe can be removed from the nozzle at this end to clear the nozzle.

Otherwise remove the glove box, remove the L/H wiper wheelhouse access panel and have a poke around in there.

Roger

These can always be absolutely relied on not to work in the pre-mot test :( .

If you've got access to a compressor a quick blast of air up the appropriate tube fitted to the back of the plunger switch (quite easy to access) may dislodge the crud - worked for me this year.

These can always be absolutely relied on not to work in the pre-mot test :( .

If you've got access to a compressor a quick blast of air up the appropriate tube fitted to the back of the plunger switch (quite easy to access) may dislodge the crud - worked for me this year.

Be careful doing that as if the crud is solid then you will blow the pipes off and you will have a fairly major strip down to get to everything. They are one of the first things to go in on a rebuild.

Stuart.

It's also a good idea to disconnect the battery when grovelling about in that rat's nest - water and electrics don't get on too well and you could end up with much worse than a non-working washer jet if a pipe decides to detach itself.blink.gif