I wish I'd done it in a different order #101

I've just discovered that I should have put the screen pillar mounts in before the dash and instruments, not after.

Getting the bottom bolt in, is now a two hour job instead of a two minute job. The bit at the bottom of the mount is designed to have no room for fingers once the dash is in place. However statistically you are going to succeed at least once in a hundred goes of dropping the bolt, washer and spring washer on to the floor.(I've done one side.)

I also have discovered that my best hole repair, at the side of the scuttle, very early in my MIG welding career, (the one you show your family and friends) was for one of the bolts that hold the screen pillar mounting in place.

By the way what is 'draught welting'? Workshop Manual P5-207 "pull off the draught welting" - never to be mentioned again in the reinstall section. ?reference to skin blemishes acquired during the whole exercise?

Edited by littlejim

Hi LittleJim,

could the draught welting be the furry 'U; shaped seal that goes around the door cut-out - the bit you can no longer get.

I know what you mean about doing soemthing that is really good only to find it is wrong/not required/a disaster.

When fitting the inner floor sill I had the vertical edge aligned beautifully with the vertical fold in the floor.

The outer sill fitted equally well.

However the end caps didn't :angry::angry:

There is a slight dogs leg on the vertical face - bugger

Roger

I've discovered that 'draught welting' (in my case rubber not fur) is as RogerH suggested the rubber 'seal' that goes on the edge of the windscreen, along the door cutout, and in my case along the edge of the backlight, all one piece. (That long bit left over after the door edge was done had me stumped for a while.)

Ah well, back to that busted stud in the backlight frame. Try the oxy/gas flame this go.

Edited by littlejim

Any broken studs in Surrey frames need very very careful drilling out. Definitely no heat whatever you do. If necessary helicoil the hole after to take a new stud.

Stuart.