Wire Wheel For Spare

My friend, who has not used the forum yet, but I am converting him and have told him what a wonderful tool it is has asked me to see if anyone has a 48 spoke wire wheel for sale which would fit into his spare wheel compartment on his TR3B which he has just rebuilt but is concerned about using without a spare.

Any help,suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

Best regards to all Lee

My friend, who has not used the forum yet, but I am converting him and have told him what a wonderful tool it is has asked me to see if anyone has a 48 spoke wire wheel for sale which would fit into his spare wheel compartment on his TR3B which he has just rebuilt but is concerned about using without a spare.

Any help,suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

Best regards to all Lee

You can find the 48 spoke wire wheels on Ebay in the US quite frequently. I bought ten of them on Ebay and payed an average of $25/wheel. I needed 10 to make 5 good ones. Dayton Wire Wheel sells them new for about $300.

Robert

Lee, one word of warning to your friend. (Although, the 48-spoke wheel may not cause the problem I have had with a 60-spoker.)

Does the TR4 have the same spare wheel compartment as the sidecurtain models? If so, this message will be relevant. If the spare tire just goes into the trunk, ignore this email.

I bought my B last summer, and the PO had put 195 tires on it, to maximize the ride. Well and good, but it precludes having a spare tire. So, he never got a spare wheel. The car has Dayton 60-spoke CHROME wheels. As a spare, I don't need chrome, but I wanted a 60-spoke wheel. Big mistake, I should have gone for a 48-spoker.

Anyway, back to my story. So, I bought a used Dayton 60-spoke wheel (painted) off of eBay, and put a 165 tire on it, as I plan to put 165s all around either this or next year. Well, that wheel and tire are nearly TWO INCHES too wide to fit my tire compartment. This B was totally rebuilt, so I dont know whether I have an early compartment or a later compartment. Regardless, I am "had." Apparently, there are various OFFSETS on wire wheels, that I never THOUGHT of.

So, I contacted Dayton, who would LOVE to send me a new 60-spoke wheel, GUARANTEED to have the same width as the original TR2 48-spoke wheel, for the price of an arm and a leg and a first-born male child.

Again, maybe he won't have a problem with a 48-spoker. I just wanted to pass along my tale of woe, so that he goes into this with his eyes open.

Bueno suerte.

I think Duts needs a 48 spoke spare wheel for his friend's TR3B.

The TR 48 spoker has a 4" rim, which fits into the early or late sidescreen spare wheel well.

A TR 60 spoker has a 4.5" rim which will not fit into the early car's narrower well.

But a correct offset 60 spoke wheel with no larger than 165 x 15 tyre, will go into a TR3B's wheel well. Tight fit though.

Proviso is that the boot floor is not pushed down from people dumping heavy stuff in.

Regards,

Viv.

Fear not chaps, Lee's friend Peter needs a 48-spoker. A couple of years back I let Lee have one for a similar requirement, and as luck would have it I still have an original one that's half-reasonable, good enough for a spare, remaining. It'll find its way to Essex before too long ! Alex rebuilding his TR4 had the other decent one last month, so that's probably the end of my spare wires and a bit more room in the bulky items shed !!

Cheers,

Alec

Fear not chaps, Lee's friend Peter needs a 48-spoker. A couple of years back I let Lee have one for a similar requirement, and as luck would have it I still have an original one that's half-reasonable, good enough for a spare, remaining. It'll find its way to Essex before too long ! Alex rebuilding his TR4 had the other decent one last month, so that's probably the end of my spare wires and a bit more room in the bulky items shed !!

Cheers,

Alec

Thanks for all your help Alec,I passed the details on to my friend Peter Smith and he should be getting in touch with you.

Best regards Lee

Hi there,

Please note that the spare wheel fit is a well known problem with all sidescreen TR's. You should be aware that the car originally had a tyre that was the size of the 155 x 15 ( 5.20 x 15), not the 165 x 15 (5.60 x 15). The normal solution was to fit the smaller 155 x 15 tyre which would fit inside the spare wheel compartment UNLESS the boot floor has been pushed in as commonly found. Anyway, I have fitted a 155 x 15 ok into my TR2 spare wheel compartment.

Please note that I suspect that the 60 spoke wheel will fit with the smaller tyre, but I am not promising that.

BTW be aware that the 155 is not a commonly available size of tyre so you may have to search around. My TR2 has Vredestein's all round & they used to make a 155 size. They were all affordable, look good in traditional size, but I think the 155 was a special order - not in stock.

Using the samller size in an emergency has no apparent effect on the handling,is legal to my knowledge, but like the small space savers, I would not encourage use for long periods of time.

Hope all this helps. Cheers, JOhn S