Tr3a Servo Units

As part of my restoration work on a TR3a I want to install a servo unit. I have just final fitted my main body section and am looking for advice on the location of such unit. To the Left hand side of the engine above the petrol pump is one possible location or alternatively mounted underneath the body body on the drivers side in the region of the petrol tank and adjacent to the three way brake connector. Any comments or suggestions welcome Thanks

Hello there nameless one, I was perplexed at where to put the servo on my TR3.

The best place is on the Near side bulkhead, now the servo wont fit directly on the bulkhead so what I did was make 3 tubes around 3 inches long

put a thread in each end of the tubes (same as the servo studs) screw the tubes onto the 3 studs on the servo, place it on the bulkhead where the tubes are, mark, drill and bolt on from the inside of the bulkhead into the tubes.

It looks a neat job, and only one small bracket to affix the front of the servo to the inner wing to complete the job.

As part of my restoration work on a TR3a I want to install a servo unit. I have just final fitted my main body section and am looking for advice on the location of such unit. To the Left hand side of the engine above the petrol pump is one possible location or alternatively mounted underneath the body body on the drivers side in the region of the petrol tank and adjacent to the three way brake connector. Any comments or suggestions welcome Thanks

JMARM: These photos from my archives may help! Good luck.

brake_servo-2.jpg

brake_servo.jpg

JMARM: These photos from my archives may help! Good luck.

brake_servo-2.jpg

brake_servo.jpg

I see that you have the inner wing modification around the carbs as my previous FIA question in the forum.Do you know when it was done?

regards ROY

• 2 weeks later...

Awwwwwwwww, to heck with brakes. They are just "frills and extras," as Bob Newhart would say. Last week, on the way to WallyWorld (WalMart), my brake pedal went completely to the floor. Even pumping, I could get nothing. So, I completed the trip and made it back home (total about 15 miles) just downshifting and using the emergency brake. The reservoir was full, so I figured it must be the seals in the MC. So, I headed for Ed's shop, 50 miles away, mostly turnpike, WITH NO BRAKES. I encountered one situation where I only had time to shift to third gear and hit the emergency brake pretty hard. Came to a sudden stop!

By the time I got to Ed's the reservoir was empty, and there was oil under the 5-way fitting. The pipe fittings were rusted pretty solid, so after soaking for a while, we were able to tighten it "ever so slightly" and I am hoping for the best, as it is the pipe that wanders around the front of the engine and up to the MC. Well, I got a full brake-bleeding out of it, a set of three new stainless steel hoses (two of my rubber ones were shot), and my rear brakes adjusted.

So, brakes are just another luxury. Kind of like a radio.

Epilog: the rear brake adjusters were an adventure. Both adjuster nuts were roundeded off. Again, with some soaking, we got one to loosen up, and adjusted it. I ended up having to replace the other adjuster from Ed's "collection box," at no cost.

Yesterday, in a parking lot, a girl pulled out from behind a tall hedge and never expected to see a small car. (She was driving one of those new little boxes that all look alike, with about 8- or 9-inch wheels. I had no place to go except straight ahead and t-bone her. I jammed brakes, and my tires squealed and came to a stop. Had I had the brakes that I have had since I bought the car, I would have knocked her into the nickel seats. As it were, with a 2-day-old brake adjustment, I missed her.

Hi John- I mounted mine in the battery box, since the battery is in the trunk (boot, of course). Clearly, you need to have it somewhere near the intake track, as you need to provide a vacuum 'draw' on the servo body. Good luck with it, Kevin

Hello Kev. In the boot? Remember it's a TR, not an mg! :P

P.S. Have you guys dug out yet? Our Basset, Basil, loves the snow. But this time it was so deep that he would disappear every once in a while. Good exercise for him - and after he would collapse and sleep for hours. :D