Puzzled: How to remove headlight assembly?

Dear friends

Well, I've finally completed the rust repair (firewall, inner and outer sills, wheel wells, quarter panels, floor pans, trunk floor, trunk drip channel). After about 8 pounds of MIG wire, the body is off to the blaster for a thorough rust and paint removal and nice epoxy primer. The chassis is stripped, primed, and painted. I'm starting to clean and paint suspension parts now and will soon start building front and rear suspension.

In my spare time, I need to get the wings and front apron to the blaster. And, for the life of me, can't figure out how to remove the headlight assemblies? How does one remove the outer chrome ring? My outer chrome rings do not have a screws, as shown in the factory manual. I've pulled and twisted (gently) and just don't know how to remove them? Can anyone help? Once the ring is removed, it looks like I can access small screws to remove the headlight bucket. Thanks much

Pat Galvin

Sacramento, California

59 TR3A

Hi Pat

There's a tab at the top that it hooks over and a sprung locating tab at the bottom, if you pull it from the bottom it should just come off.

Steve

Hi Pat

There's a tab at the top that it hooks over and a sprung locating tab at the bottom,

if you pull it from the bottom it should just come off.

Steve

There is also a small rounded rivet head visible externally, at the bottom

but not quite dead centre, that will show you exactly where the tab is.

This is also useful for re-assembly.

There is a factory tool for this, a simple device, but just pulling with

your fingers in the right location is OK.

AlanR

Thanks very much for the responses on the headlight ring removal. I'll give it a try tonight when I get home.

On a separate note - does anyone know how to go back and delete old posts or at least delete old posted photos. I have used up my 500KB of space for posting photos and would like to continue to include photos with my posts. I know this is administrative in nature but I have been unable to determine how to handle this housekeeping chore. Thanks again.

Pat

Thanks very much for the responses on the headlight ring removal. I'll give it a try tonight when I get home.

On a separate note - does anyone know how to go back and delete old posts or at least delete old posted photos. I have used up my 500KB of space for posting photos and would like to continue to include photos with my posts. I know this is administrative in nature but I have been unable to determine how to handle this housekeeping chore. Thanks again.

Pat

Pat, if you are signed into the forum you can click on the drop down arrow next to your profile name in the top right of the window. Click on My Settings and then on Manage Attachments and you will see all of the images you have uploaded and will have the opportunity to delete one or more.

In general it is a better strategy to use one of the free image hosting sites like Photobucket and avoid the image size and space limitations of the TR Register hosting facility.

Stan