Fitting an Alternator to a TR3a

Menno,

Thanks for the comments and the pictures. They are both very helpful! I am curious about the voltmeter. I have been interested in one for my car as well, but, like you, I wanted something that looked period correct and matched the other gauges as well as possible. It looks like the gauge you have does that very well. Any chance you could give me some more info about it? Also, could you post, or email me, a close up of you 4 gauge dash panel and/or the gauge itself?

I'll have to check out my local parts stores this weekend and see if I have any success finding the same part.

Very nice looking car and restoration, by the way.

Thanks again for the help,

Eric

If I remember rightly the gauge is from early Scimitar although also fitted to others , but there are plenty of broken GTEs laying around ;) In fact there are three of these gauges on ebay at the moment.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
  • 2 weeks later...

At the risk of changing the subject slightly, I have decided to continue with my +ve earth dynamo for the moment - if only to experience the full period adventure of not knowing if my car will survive the journey! I ran the car for half an hour this afternoon in preparation for the spring and she is not charging. Contamination or corrosion of the brushes is my assumption, but before I take it off are there any other things I should check for?

At the risk of changing the subject slightly, I have decided to continue with my +ve earth dynamo for the moment - if only to experience the full period adventure of not knowing if my car will survive the journey! I ran the car for half an hour this afternoon in preparation for the spring and she is not charging. Contamination or corrosion of the brushes is my assumption, but before I take it off are there any other things I should check for?

Control box contacts could have furred up. Clean off with a strip of cardboard soaked in meths.

Stuart