Fuel sender float

Hi all

Managed to get original fuel sender. I was suprised that the float is steel. There is some very superficial rusting on the surface. Was this originaly painted or plated in someway?

I can polish the rust off but what is the best way to finish/protect the surface if it is to be permanently immersed in fuel?

Also is there any lubrication of the arm hinge to be done?

Anyone done this?

thanks

Steve

The float in the fuel tank of my 1958 TR3A is still the original float. It looks like it has been chrome plated - or something that looks shiny like chrome. The last time I looked at it (20 years ago) it was still 98% shiny. It has worked fine since then (102,000 miles) with no issues despite a 2% bit of surface rust where the plating was gone. It's not a flat lustre silvery surface you normally see with a part that has been plated with "clear zinc". It was shiny - like a tin can.

The float was indeed tin plated originally. I cant offhand think of anything to paint it with that would last indefinitely in the modern fuels although possibly a coat of the "slosh tank" sealant may well do it or have it replated. No lubrication is really possible for the same reason. It may be an idea to carefully open up the sender itself by bending back the cover tags and make sure its not full of rust/sediment which is stopping it moving correctly. Be very careful as the windings are around the thickness of a human hair.

Stuart.

Thanks Don and Stuart.

It does look in parts as though there was a thin tin plate finish at one time. So, an interesting challenge to find a surface treatment that will resist fuel. Maybe I'll get feedback from the chemists out there. If I find out I'll add it to the thread

Stuart, thanks for the advice about dismantling. The hinge movement seems fine. I will test continuity. I noted the earlier threads dealing with resistance

cheers

Steve