TR6 Front Suspension

Hi Chaps,

I have an early TR3 and a TR6 front suspension assembly which I would like to fit.

The question is, what parts do I fit? In Roger Williams book he says the outer bushes require machining. Does he mean the TR6 lower wishbone bushes?

I was looking to fit TR6 uprights, trunnions, and upper wishbone assemblies, whilst using the original TR3 lower wishbones, spring pan etc. Should I fit the TR6 steering arms to mate with my Rack and pinion conversion? I believe they are longer than the TR3 ones. I have done a conversion in the past using TR4A parts, but can't remember which parts I used.

Thanks,

Tony

Not an answer I'm afraid, but I am experiencing a similar issue, or at least the restorer working on my TR2 is.

He has fitted the later 4A-6 front suspension arms, brake discs and vertical link assemblies to give the best braking and the improved castor. We are also converting to Rack and Pinion steering, and now he is experiencing difficulty in getting the Moss steering rack threaded ends and joints to line up with the steering arms - early or later type.

Therefore I too would welcome any advice/comment.

Thanks,

Rod

Hi Rod,

The rack and pinion set up I purchased was from TR Bitz. This set up entails the swopping around of the steering arms and adding extra spacers.

This may allow your track rod ends to line up correctly?

Tony

I have done this on my TR4 (with TR6 engine) which has a TR6 rack and rack mount grafted onto the chassis.

The problem is that the TR6 upright has some major dimensional differences when compared with the TR4 (early TR) upright. The spring pan is also different. My TR4 was very low at the front and after endless trials with spacers I cut down some of the ali spacers (from TR4a ?) and now the ride hieght is OK. I used the standard (not short or lowered) springs, and I checked the springs via borrowing a set from a local suppier. The spring rates of TR4 and TR6 are the same so that was not the problem. I am convinced the differences in spring pan and uprights are the cause of the issue on my car.

I was after the massive bolt which goes through the bottom of the TR6 upright and wishbone after finding the pin on my TR4 to be broken when I took it out.

I can tell you the thickness of the spacers if you want, I have not got the dimensions with me at present.

Regards,

John