123 Electronic ignition

Hi TR250 owners

My distributor is rather worn, so I should have it to be repaired. Does anyone have good experiences about 123 ignition? Is it easy to find right timing advance settings? I want to keep the mechanical taco, so I need to send my existing distributor to be modified to 123 ignition internally. That is quite expensive way to do the modification, so therefore it would be nice to hear your comments.

Regards

Antti

Edited by Antti

Hi TR250 owners

My distributor is rather worn, so I should have it to be repaired. Does anyone have good experiences about 123 ignition? Is it easy to find right timing advance settings? I want to keep the mechanical taco, so I need to send my existing distributor to be modified to 123 ignition internally. That is quite expensive way to do the modification, so therefore it would be nice to hear your comments.

Regards

Antti

Hi Antti

Why keep the mechanical taco ? it is very easy to set up fit and forget. Pinky persuaded me to try one and I love it :D

Edited by ntc

Why not get your dizzy overhauled by Martin (The Dizzy Doc). It will come back better than new.

Roger

Hi Roger

Overhauling is the other option I have on mind. Unfortunately I don't recognize Martin, do you have any contact info?

Antti

Hi Antti

Why keep the mechanical taco ? it is very easy to set up fit and forget. Pinky persuaded me to try one and I love it :D

Hello ntc

You might be right that electronic taco is easy to install, but I am afraid that the total price of std 123 dizz and new taco will lead to same price level.

Somehow I like the idea to have distributor without any moving parts, except the shaft of course. All the features 123 is offering looks good for me.The question is how it works in real life?

Antti

Hello ntc

You might be right that electronic taco is easy to install, but I am afraid that the total price of std 123 dizz and new taco will lead to same price level.

Somehow I like the idea to have distributor without any moving parts, except the shaft of course. All the features 123 is offering looks good for me.The question is how it works in real life?

Antti

Hi Antti

Here you go http://www.distributordoctor.com/ Martin will do an excellent job but you may ffind the cost about the same as the 123, the difference is the 123 requires no maintenance and will out perform a std dizzy

Hi Antti

Here you go http://www.distributordoctor.com/ Martin will do an excellent job but you may ffind the cost about the same as the 123, the difference is the 123 requires no maintenance and will out perform a std dizzy

Thanks Neil

Obviously then the 123 would be a good choice.

What advance curve settings guys has used on their 123s in TR250?

Antti

Good point Neil

I have a rebuild engine, and I don't have a glue about camshaft and compression ratio, so I need to check the valve openings and compression pressures.

Antti

Antti

You do need to check Martin would also need that info,the 123 is very clever so trial and error can be used to find the best setting ;) my engine is modified a lot so I ended up running setting B

Edited by ntc

Antti

You do need to check Martin would also need that info,the 123 is very clever so trial and error can be used to find the best setting ;) my engine is modified a lot so I ended up running setting B

Hi Atti

best thing since sliced bread, if you can convert neil you can convert anybody :D

alot of the 6 boys use them, that's because we are go go getters ask neil :P

pink

have one here, build in into the old dizzy. Installing is a piece of cake, once set never to be touched again. Only minor, but that's minor nuisance: you have to take of the dizzy if you want to adjust the settings. But as said the whole lot including testing all settings won't set yo back for more than an hour. In my case, std '73 PI runs much smoother, and picks up faster than the old dizzy (which was very well set up btw).

have one here, build in into the old dizzy. Installing is a piece of cake, once set never to be touched again. Only minor, but that's minor nuisance: you have to take of the dizzy if you want to adjust the settings. But as said the whole lot including testing all settings won't set yo back for more than an hour. In my case, std '73 PI runs much smoother, and picks up faster than the old dizzy (which was very well set up btw).

Who did the build into the old dizzy?

Thanks Jobster, you made my decision making much easier. :)

The only company as far as I know is the Hebels British Sportscars V.O.F. in Eindhoven, am I right?

Regards

Antti

Hi TR250 owners

Regards

Antti

As a TR250 owner :D here's my opinion:

For the stock, original specification a properly rebuilt distributor will leave very little to be desired. Little if any performance improvement is likely no matter what kind of ignition system is used unless it is a " mapped " electronic feedback type, and even then only a token amount. Reliability is just fine and the unit is serviceable by the owner ;)

For mid-range power road cars ( 150-170 BHP ) a properly rebuilt low-advance distributor leaves nothing to be desired either, in my experience. I use the Lucas Sport Coil, NGK BP7ES plugs gapped to 0.030" ( vs. 0.025" normally ) and Standard Blue Streak points on mine and the kit usually goes 10,000+ miles without maintenance, never missing a beat.

For high HP motors I defer to others for advice there - little goes unmodified with these <_<

In any event I suggest having the distributor rebuilt properly! Good luck with your project.

As a TR250 owner :D here's my opinion:

For the stock, original specification a properly rebuilt distributor will leave very little to be desired. Little if any performance improvement is likely no matter what kind of ignition system is used unless it is a " mapped " electronic feedback type, and even then only a token amount. Reliability is just fine and the unit is serviceable by the owner ;)

For mid-range power road cars ( 150-170 BHP ) a properly rebuilt low-advance distributor leaves nothing to be desired either, in my experience. I use the Lucas Sport Coil, NGK BP7ES plugs gapped to 0.030" ( vs. 0.025" normally ) and Standard Blue Streak points on mine and the kit usually goes 10,000+ miles without maintenance, never missing a beat.

For high HP motors I defer to others for advice there - little goes unmodified with these <_<

In any event I suggest having the distributor rebuilt properly! Good luck with your project.

All true, in my case I was really fed up when getting lousy points from the usual suspects and having to adjust again and again. There are many other things to be done than fizzling around with the ignition. INstalled it, checked with an ingition light just for the heck of it, no adjustments needed: Got mine here:

123 ignition Will set you back a couple of bucks but have been driven with it this year for over 6000km since installation, and I am simply pleased.

Hi Tom

Yep however Pinky ( bully) ;) made me try one of these 123's my engine is far from std as you know and no matter how we tried a good calibrated linear dizzy would not idle and perform as well once setup correctly

Edited by ntc

Aren't there issues with converting the tacho to electronics? I vaguely recall seeing posts about their failure to work properly.

Hi Tom

Yep however Pinky ( bully) ;) made me try one of these 123's my engine is far from std as you know and no matter how we tried a good calibrated linear dizzy would not idle and perform as well once setup correctly

Hi Neil,

700 rpm is a decent idle allright ;) . I may be lucky but my 150 cam motor will pull a 550 rpm idle and the high-lift 1312 cam motor will do 600 happily. Puh-ta-ta-puh-ta-ta-puh-ta-ta.... ;)