windscreen finisher

OK Guys

somebody please tell me the secret to get the windscreen-finisher in?!

just spent 2 hours in my garage getting nowhere!!

I've got the original metal one, it was on the windscreen and i've also got the original windscreen frame and windscreen, only new part here is the rubber.

Please help!

cheers

John

John

Making the windscreen finisher "pliable " helps , so put it into a bucket of hot water, so that it isn't brittle.

Lubrication in the rubber groove...vaseline.spray dry lube ( Robert Dyas stock it ) whatever is your preference.

Parting the rubber sufficiently , to insert the trim.Anything to hand in the garage that is the right size, ideally round, and that will not rip/ tear the rubber, eg Old plastic radio trimming rod, large phllips screwdriver,plastic dibber ( sowing seeds ).

Technique , a right handed person, a small piece of rag to push the trim down held in the left hand. Start by opening up the rubber and insert the end of the trim.Then let the trim run through the gap between your right thumb and index, whilst holding your choosen implement at a low angle to the rubber.

So moving around the screen..implement opens the gap, screen trim feeds through and the left hand pushed home with the rag.

There is a "proper" tool available but with a little patience, it isn't too difficult.

Good luck.

Bob

P.S. Ooopps " Metal finisher" didn't read the post properly but I guess most of the reponse will apply ??

Edited by bob-menhennett

only new part here is the rubber.

John

The rubber can make all the difference, so don't asssume it's not part of your problem. I recently fitted a new windscreen...absolutely no way it would go in with the Moss rubber, but eventually got it in with the rubber from Revington TR (softer rubber). A little bit of silicon spray may also prove useful.

Edited by badshead

OK Guys

somebody please tell me the secret to get the windscreen-finisher in?!

just spent 2 hours in my garage getting nowhere!!

I've got the original metal one, it was on the windscreen and i've also got the original windscreen frame and windscreen, only new part here is the rubber.

Please help!

cheers

John

The tool you requires was a VL Churchill ref; 18G 468, copy offered by several contemporary companies.

Bob/Jana,

I put mine on the TR 4 using a desert spoon handle and pressure from my thumb. You open the channel with the spoon and then push the finisher in behind using downward pressure like closing a ziplock plastic bag. It is not easy but not too difficult either. TO help I left the car outside in the sunshine for a couple of hours to soften the rubber, as this is not an option this time of year I Would try a couple of spotlights aimed at the rubber for a couple of hours to soften it up. It was a Moss rubber btw

Cheers

Alan

Bob

do you know the name of the tool?

cheers

John

John,

It can be a 'fiddly' job for sure!! The tool I refer to is basically a handle with a cranked wire which has a diamond shape end. Bit like a squashed rectangle if that makes any kind of sense?

The wire end, is 2mm thick and strong! This is fed into the openening that takes the chrome plastic finisher, and it opens up the channel, facilitating the chrome strip to enter the channel. This is pushed around the screen rubber perimeter, corners being a little slower, with a little soapy water.Too much and it becomes too slippy!

The whole job usually takes a few minutes from start to finish. To be far some people find it difficult, others cope better. Without the tool is is not impossible, but, a 'rounded' straight bladed screwdriver 1/4" blade will help, with care! Feed one side of the chrome finisher into the rubber channel, doing 6" at a time. Then go back and do the other side of the finisher, obviously softening the plastic chrome finisher with hot water will help!

I used to teach this as part of Bodyshop Courses at Jaguar and several other manufacturers service courses.This was quite universal in the 60's and 70's.

Finally, if I were you I'd go into a windscreen replacement company, have a chat with one of the more 'mature' guys and see if he has the the tool? the young guys will not know what you're after, as this system has not for years.

Good luck.

Bob.

John

I was thinking of a plastic windscreen inserts when replying but I see that Frost sell an installation tool S135 for £26.

It's not suitable for metal filler strips.

Maybe the Dessert spoon option of Alan's is a more attractive option.

Bob

thanks Bob

I think i'll get the plastic insert, beacause this metal stuff is just so rigid, although it looks nicer.

thanks

John.

Edited by mandarawessels

John

I was thinking of a plastic windscreen inserts when replying but I see that Frost sell an installation tool S135 for £26.

It's not suitable for metal filler strips.

Maybe the Dessert spoon option of Alan's is a more attractive option.

Bob

That's the one! Well done.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys

just to bring you up to date: got the plasric windscreen insert and it took all of 5 minutes to put it in!

A little bit of fairy liquid and in it went, no tools needed, nice finish.

so i'm left with the metal inserts (2) which are very hard to get in place. if anyone is interested in them, let me know

cheers

John