All of a piece anew

Been preoccupied for the last few months shepherding the repair of my concourse car's engine - the cam seized in the block after 750 miles, ostensibly due to inadequate oil grooves in its bearing journals <_< . Runs fine now, even better due to premium con rods weighing more than 2 lbs less than the originals.

Hope you've all been well and are prospering, and that you've been enjoying the TR Forum all the while :) .

Been preoccupied for the last few months shepherding the repair of my concourse car's engine - the cam seized in the block after 750 miles, ostensibly due to inadequate oil grooves in its bearing journals <_< . Runs fine now, even better due to premium con rods weighing more than 2 lbs less than the originals.

Hope you've all been well and are prospering, and that you've been enjoying the TR Forum all the while :) .

Good to see you back Tom I hope all is well ;) as for the cam yep I have seen that before :angry:

Welcome back Tom, we have missed you. Sorry to hear about the cam, I hope it didn't do too much collateral damage.

Stan

Welcome back Tom, we have missed you. Sorry to hear about the cam, I hope it didn't do too much collateral damage.

Stan

Thanks, Stan and all. Collateral damage could have been worse given a 1312 cam with 0.502" lift with combustion chamber depth < 0.400"! No damage to the head whatsoever :o ; seems the timing gear held on 'til the bitter end, stalling the engine just before letting go.

TRF agreed to do the repair ( bore out for cam bearings ) on a special basis; hat off to them, and I don't yet know whether I'll be compensated for any of the out-of-pocket costs - aside from the 40-50 hours it took to remove and replace the engine from a concourse car without nicking the paintwork... <_<

Thanks, Stan and all. Collateral damage could have been worse given a 1312 cam with 0.502" lift with combustion chamber depth < 0.400"! No damage to the head whatsoever :o ; seems the timing gear held on 'til the bitter end, stalling the engine just before letting go.

TRF agreed to do the repair ( bore out for cam bearings ) on a special basis; hat off to them, and I don't yet know whether I'll be compensated for any of the out-of-pocket costs - aside from the 40-50 hours it took to remove and replace the engine from a concourse car without nicking the paintwork... <_<

This is the third new engine I know of in the last 6 months that had catastrophic failure at or soon after start up (all different parts but all due to component failure). I wonder if we are just getting sloppy and not inspecting parts properly and spotting these defects ?. The grooves in the cam journals are not that deep to start with, I wonder how far off yours were and if a better inspection before assembly would have spotted it ?

Good to hear TRF is doing the right thing. Line boring for cam bearings aint cheap !.

Stan