Rebuilding the engine

I am at the stage of checking the block before starting to re-assemble the engine. Although I hoped to get away with it, I had to buy new pistons and liners. When I completed the stripdown I found that I had two Mahle pistons and two of unknown make.

Anyway so I have four new county pistons and liners so earlier tonight I checked the height of the liners above the block. Three of them are spot on at 5 thou but the top of the fourth (#3 cylinder) is not level with the top of the block. It can rock ever so slightly. Push it one way and the clearances with a straightedge across the top are 7 thou one side and one or two thou the other, however if I push the liner the other way the measurement is between 4 and 5 thou each side. I have checked for obvious things like a bit of grit in the bottom causing it to pivot but can't see anything amiss.

So my question, is it normal for some liners to exhibit a bit of lateral movement and is it something that the head will pull down level?

Oh by the way I have tried swapping liners but the result is the same.

Rgds Ian

I have tried swapping liners but the result is the same.

I suppose it could be the block itself.

Is the problem associated with one cylinder position or does it move with the liner to a different location?

Edited by BrianC

I have a spare set of seals becasue there was one pair with the pistons and another with the bottom gasket set. swopped them over and made sure everything was squeaky clean and the wobble disappeared but... the top of the block needs a skim - its not flat.

And then when I removed the studs in preparation I found that one of them was very corroded at the bottom just above the thread - so I guess that was a good thing to find.

These things really are a money pit!

Ian