I am rebuilding my TR3a engine.

Normally I would replace the oil pump as a matter of course but I wonder what the quality of after market pumps is like - are they any good?

I have tried searching the forum but couldn't find any relevant threads.

Any help appreciated.

Rgds Ian

I am rebuilding my TR3a engine.

Normally I would replace the oil pump as a matter of course but I wonder what the quality of after market pumps is like - are they any good?

I have tried searching the forum but couldn't find any relevant threads.

Any help appreciated.

Rgds Ian

Ian, apologies I am not addressing your actual question but are you sure you need a replacement pump? I ask this as I to am in the process of overhauling my TR engine, I've dug up all the specs for the oil pump to measure wear and handed it over to my engineer mate. It would seem my pump is within limits and I have no idea how old it is, perhaps yours might also be ok and not need replacing at all.

Mychael

Ian, the only adverse comments I had heard are a few yaers old now and related to a batch where the spindle to rotor attachment was just a press fit rather than having a pin through the joint as well, which I believe from memory was the case on original pumps. This of course led to some cases where the spindle was turning, but not turning the rotor hence loss of oil pressure and damage. I presume such pumps have now left the shelves of suppliers but there could be the odd one still about, so I'd check before fitting.

My engine builder warned me about poor quality pumps for my 250 rebuild, you could do worse than call J@E engine rebuilders Tel 01706 222662 for

advice speak to John he is well informed and helpful.

I'm only a customer and have nought to do with the bussiness.

Thabks for the replies and in general they support what I suspected.

Having stripped the unit down, I have decided to get the cover and possibly the body refaced (dependent on the clearance) and re-use it.

Rgds Ian