How difficult is it to fit new F8 seals

I have finally got to the stage of rebuilding the engine on my 3a. I fitted it onto the engine stand and removed the ancilliaries and then lifted the head - easy.

I wasn't to careful about restraining the liners as I was intending to replace the pistions & liners with 87mm dia items - that was until I measured the bore diameter of the existing liners and found that they are already 87mm dia. and are in pretty good shape.

So although it doesn't look like any of the liners have moved its quite possible that I have disturbed one with my activities to date and my question is - should I just play safe and replace the F8 gaskets on the basis that they are a low cost item and whilst I am at it check that the inside of the block is nice and clean, or is it a case of leave well alone!

Any advice on what to watch out for would be appreciated.

Rgds Ian

Once you remove the liners, scrape out the old figure 8 seals and clean the step where they are seated. Then install new ones with an approved sealant to make sure they won't leak and also to prevent the surfaces or the edges of the new figure 8 seals from becoming corroded - because they might leak at some time of not protected with a sealant to coat them.

In 2007, when I re-built the engine in my 1958 TR3A, I found that one half of the width of one of the figure 8 seals had disappeared. I believe this was for cylinder #1 or for #4. This had happened during the 94,000 miles that I had driven between 1990 and 2007.