OIL PRESSURE GAUGE BLOCKED

Gilles

Take the pipe that feeds the gauge off of the back of the gauge, but be sure to put a container under it to catch any oil that comes out. If the gauge does not return to zero with the pipe removed then it is faulty.

Enlève le tuyau derrière le gauge qui aliment le gauge et voir si le gauge tombe a zéro mais faire attention de mettre un réceptacle pour recouperez l'huile qui sort. Si elle retournera pas a zéro la gauge est défectueuse.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog

thanks Alan,

Your french is nice !!

I will try it soon..

It is strange because it was working properly before...

I have a doubt because maybe it is dued to the fact that my motor had overheated and I fear a gasket failure...and water in the motor...

what is your point of view (it has maybe blocked the pipe..)

I am worrying a lot...

Thanks

Gilles

Gilles

Take the pipe that feeds the gauge off of the back of the gauge, but be sure to put a container under it to catch any oil that comes out. If the gauge does not return to zero with the pipe removed then it is faulty.

Enlève le tuyau derrière le gauge qui aliment le gauge et voir si le gauge tombe a zéro mais faire attention de mettre un réceptacle pour recouperez l'huile qui sort. Si elle retournera pas a zéro la gauge est défectueuse.

Cheers

Alan

If the head gasket has blown then you will recognise the other well-known symptoms, both in engine performance and/or oil/water cross-contamination. I don't think the oil-pressure pipe being being blocked is too much to worry about. Are you sure it's not just the gauge needle that is stuck? If the engine is running OK, it's probably worth connecting a spare or borrowed gauge as a check.

Gilles

If you have water contamination in the oil then you would find a white mayonnaise tpye residue under the oil filler cap or signs of water on the dipstick. follows Brians advise and check the gauge. If I remember correctly there is a rubber hose that goes between two junctions on the oil pressure gauge pipe it is possible that this has swollen internally and is preventing the gauge returning to Zero. Does the gauge zero eventually after the engine is switched off ? If not I would be 95 % sure it is a gauge problem as in the needle is blocked

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog

Hi again to all of you,

You are probably right about the pressure gauge.

When I turn the ignition off, it stays on the same position...

By the way, what are the reason for which a gauge can rise up to 80 PSI.

Is it the oil pressure inside the sump ?

Is this oil pressure in the sump the same as in the area of the top of the cylinders ?

Concerning the mayonnaise, I do not have this sign now but last time I had a drive , on sunday, I heard a strange noise at around 55 mph and 3000 rpm and then I decrease strongly the rpm around 2000 rpm but over 2000 rpm, there was a noise as if the motor was running only on 3 cylinders..it was rattling (do we say ratteling ?) too much so I decided to stop for 1hour for the engine to cool down.

Then after more than 1 hour, I went back home taking care to never go over 2000 rpm during the 20km that left me to arrive at home.

I am a little bit worrying also about that

Do you have any idea about all those problems ?

Thnaks

Gilles

uote name='Kiwifrog' date='Sep 30 2009, 10:16 AM' post='145947']

Gilles

If you have water contamination in the oil then you would find a white mayonnaise tpye residue under the oil filler cap or signs of water on the dipstick. follows Brians advise and check the gauge. If I remember correctly there is a rubber hose that goes between two junctions on the oil pressure gauge pipe it is possible that this has swollen internally and is preventing the gauge returning to Zero. Does the gauge zero eventually after the engine is switched off ? If not I would be 95 % sure it is a gauge problem as in the needle is blocked

Alan