Hi all,

I've put the body onto the newly refurbished (by Colin at CTM) chassis, and put the 6 aluminium spacers in, but the rear of the passenger compartment doesn't appear to be sitting on the chassis - by a long way, and it doesn't look right!

The doors open and close OK, not got the wings on to check the gaps...... is it right and I'm being paranoid, or what else is going on???

Thanks!

Chris

2P9040031.JPG

Hi Chris,

it is neither right nor wrong - it is what it is. There is no (sensible) limit to the amount of packing required.

So pack it out until it all appears to line up. When you get the wings, boot, bonnet on you may need to do more.

Roger

First thing to remember is that the chassis is your jig to build the rest of the car from! CTM chassis are as good if not better than original. (certainly from the point of view of having all the reinforcements that time and experience have shown them to need)

You need to have the chassis supported on stands under the centre line of each axle first of all and then level the chassis not only side to side but fore and aft as well using a spirit level/laser level. Preferably with the engine and box mounted on the chassis.(Unless your garage floor is absolutely level you will need to shim the stands to achieve a dead level chassis)

Then with a nominal amount of packing shims fitted to all the mounting points and the rubber strips fitted to the main rails, fit the body and then level that up as well by swopping the shims around as required until the body sits level (by spirit level etc ) The floors should just contact the rubber strips on the chassis. What you can see in the way of any gaps underneath matters not a jot as its the topside you will be looking at for the rest of your life ;)

Most of these cars have some degree of twist etc in varying parts of the shell from the nature of them not having a lot of support in the centre of the shell and by the odd collision or two over the years and various bodge or otherwise repairs.

So unless you are building a new shell from all new panels from the floors right up to the decks there are going to be the odd gaps.

Also remember that the rear chassis rails shouldnt show too much under the back panel but they should show. (Its not a £100K car we are talking about :wacko:)

Stuart

Edited by stuart

Thank you for that - especially Stuart, for that very detailed reply!

The chassis is as near dead level as I can get it, but I haven't put a level on the body yet, as I was worried about the gaps!

When its shimmed out as best as it can be, if there are still gaps underneath like that, should I pack out the chassis to meet the body - or just leave it? My inclination would be to pack it out so it can't 'sag' into any gaps...

Thanks again

Chris

It's quite possible the body has sagged over the years, maybe the chassis also

and the body can retain this shape.

There is a fair amount of tolerance on how much you can pack up the body,

but the most critical point is the doors. If, as you say, they shut well, then

try to retain that body shape and pack as required to match the chassis.

AlanR

Thank you for that - especially Stuart, for that very detailed reply!

The chassis is as near dead level as I can get it, but I haven't put a level on the body yet, as I was worried about the gaps!

When its shimmed out as best as it can be, if there are still gaps underneath like that, should I pack out the chassis to meet the body - or just leave it? My inclination would be to pack it out so it can't 'sag' into any gaps...

Thanks again

Chris

You have PM.

Stuart.