Yellow TR4A?

Hi. I'm looking at buying a '67 TR4A but can't find any reference to it's pale yellow colour

being an orginal Triumph colour. Can anyone please confirm or otherwise that it is?

Hi David,

Pale yellow was available throughout the TR series, at least up to ealry TR6s.

I remember Alec P had a TR6 that colour, and I once had a pale yellow 250.

Triumph may have changed the name of the colour, but a pale yellow shade

was still available.

It's colour I quite like, though it seems to suit some cars (and some owners)

but not others.

AlanT|R

Hi Alan,

indeed I did have a Jasmine 6 in the late 70s, which I subsequently had resprayed in dark green.

Jasmine was certainly offered on 5s, 250s and 6s. Heaven knows why, certainly not my taste - I didn't buy that 6 for the colour, it was vgc, went like sh*t off a shovel, and a bargain at the time . . . . yeeach Jasmine notwithstanding !!

I'm not convinced that any yellows were ever offered on 4As, although it's always possible that an odd one might have been sprayed to special order ? The Registrars ought to know . . . .

Nowadays there are plenty of 4s and 4As resprayed in yellow, and why not - there's no compelling reason to stick to 'original' TR colours, some at least of which were pretty uninspiring by any standards, thinking especially of the odder TR2 and TR6 offerings. ;)

Cheers,

Alec

The vendor says he's been told that it is Primrose Yellow. The car was restored around 1990.

It's not a huge issue. I'm just a bit of a stickler for originality.

I think it was a colour for saloons only in 60's, probably you could get it as a special therefore. I don't recall it on 4s, although it was on later cars, .

Much later I had a couple of Dollies in pale yellow with black vinyl roof, which worked well and reminded me of 2 seater days.

According to the guy that did my paint, for a pale colour to work on a 4 you would need good body and paint work. I think he was being diplomatic about the gap between my aspirations and my budget. :)

Mike

I'm sure I've seen a TR5 in a pale yellow. Someone I know reckons that during the switchover from 4 to 5, Triumph did produce some 4s with 5 colours. Anyone know if this is a 5 colour?
"Pale Yellow" (sometimes referred to as "Primrose Yellow") was a late 1950s and early 1960s Standard-Triumph color. "Jonquil" came next, until around 1964. "Jasmine" (yet paler than either Primrose/Pale or Jonquil) is the yellow used in the late 1960s until about 1970. Not that special colors weren't available; apparently they were IF you "knew someone"!

"I'm sure I've seen a TR5 in a pale yellow."

Yes indeed, Jasmine, as I explained earlier . . . .

Special colours have been known, but I'd suggest they were pretty unusual - perhaps even more so than cars resprayed to the customer's preference by the supplying dealer.

The commission plate should not be relied on as evidence of original paint and trim - easy enough to fake up a repro, there are lots of TRs around with non-original plates, and have been for decades . . . .

Cheers,

Alec