Rimmer rear suspension retainer kit

Hi all,

I got hold of a set of uprated springs (200lbs) a while ago and finally got around to fitting them last weekend. When I put the rear ones in I noticed that they were very loose (I have spax dampers but they are no shorter than the originals), so some research informed me that a retainer kit available from Rimmer should be fitted with them - the competitor I bought the springs from neglected to inform me of this! The retainer kit has arrived but it comes with no form of instructions whatsoever and I am told that nobody will be available to tell me how to fit them until next Tuesday! I really need to get them done this weekend somehow but I can't find anything on the web to tell me how.

Can anybody help please?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Guest Wayne S

Alex,

Rimmers should not have sold you them, they have had countless sent back as they have no feasible means of use at all! The are little L shaped brackets arent they with a single screw or nut and bolt. They are totally useless. If they charged you money for them take them back!

My solution was to install the rear springs with the yellow poly type insulators top and bottom. They are a lot thicker than the rubber ones and this alone allowed the springs to be under enough tension to hold them in there. I have heard of others using straps round the bottom of the spring and trailing arm oreven big cable ties. Its the bottom that would slip out if it was to move not the top.

Hope that helps.

If you really need a retainer, one way to do it is to put a rivnut in the middle of the seat on the trailing arm and fabricate a retainer which bolts onto this holding the spring neatly in place.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Sorry for the slow reply. Just to say thanks for the advice, I returned the kit to Rimmer and fitted straps to the bottom of the springs. Seems to do the trick but haven't had a chance to test properly yet. I'll fit poly insulators at some point too I think!

Mak - good idea there. Have you done this yourself?

Thanks again,

Alex

If you have quality, repairable shocks, the easy way to handle this problem, is to fit an extra bump stop rubber, on the shaft, inside the shock, above the piston.

This shortens the extension of the shock, thus retaining shorter springs.

Don't be frightened of playing with shocks, they are pretty simple things, once you have a look.

Chris - should have. didn't!

Hasbeen, I do have good spax shocks all round (hence why I didn't buy a new set with the springs) so tht would be an idea. I have actually shortened the front bump stops to compensate from the shorter springs, long overdue test drive this afternoon. See how it copes with the speed bumps on the way to work!

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd let you know how it's going. I've been driving the car all week and the new suspension has made a huge improvement to the handling. No issues over bridges or hard through corners although I do have to go very slowly over speedbumps with the new ride height.

Cheers for all the advice. I would highly recommend fitting uprated springs to anyone. Even if, like me, you already have uprated shocks.

Alex

• 2 months later...

I will soon be buying a complete shocks and springs kit from Rimmers. I intend to order the Spax adjustable kit with 200lb upgrade springs although I notice they also supply Gaz as an alternative. The car is only used for normal road and touring trips so I thought it would be handy to be able to adjust the Spax for comfort especially when 2 up and fully loaded.

Does any one have any recommendations as to which kit to choose?

I also would like to sort out the retainer issue but what are the yellow poly type mentioned by Wayne and where do you get them from?

Guest Wayne S

Personally I wouldn't bother with either of them!

Spax are good but I only got 18 months out of mine before they were completely shot... Gaz are more durable but a real pain that you cannot adjust on car so that would rule them out for me.

However the shocks I found the best were KYB uprated shocks from S&S Preparations. Not adjustable, but they are spot on so you dont need to adjust anyway and have lasted a long time. At the end of the day I think unless you're setting up your car for different tracks then who can be bothered to mess around????

Part numbers for the spring insulators are: (P) means poly - they are off the shelf at Rimmers.

UKC82P Upper

UKC1108P Lower

Wayne

Edited by Wayne S

Wayne

Thanks for that - a bit disappointing as Spax seem to have a good reputation and I was recommended the Gaz shocks for my 6 a few years ago. I decided to go for Konis all round on the 6 but have never needed to change settings which is just as well as they have to be taken off to do it.

I got a pair of KYB's from S&S for the 7 last year - so familiar with them - however they also supply Spax at approx £40 more!

• 5 weeks later...

Just reading the mail. 18 months ago I had the same problem with this kit. According to the supplier you look for the bolt holes then just bolted them on. Hmm no bolt holes and no suitable area for holes to be drilled. I pointed this out and they were happy to refund the cost if I returned the kit.

The springs I fitted where very near the original length when un-loaded, so I too used straps. No probs.

I did some research and found out the kit is a standard BL part fitted to the Rover SD1 rear springs where they do just bolt on.

Have a good time over the seasonal period. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I will soon be buying a complete shocks and springs kit from Rimmers. I intend to order the Spax adjustable kit with 200lb upgrade springs although I notice they also supply Gaz as an alternative. The car is only used for normal road and touring trips so I thought it would be handy to be able to adjust the Spax for comfort especially when 2 up and fully loaded.

Does any one have any recommendations as to which kit to choose?

I also would like to sort out the retainer issue but what are the yellow poly type mentioned by Wayne and where do you get them from?

HI JEMGEE,I FITTED GAZ/ADJ WITH UPRATED RED SPRINGS ,FRONTS LASTED ABOUT A WEEK ,REPLACED U/WAR,NO PROB,REARS GAVE ME A YEAR OF PAIN!!!,ONE PAIR REAR REPLACED U/WAR NO PROB,BOTTOMING OUT,NEXT PAIR THE SAME,S/SPRINGS THE SAME ,UP/RAT THE SAME,,NEW STAN THE SAME ,IT TURNED OUT THEY WERE SHORTER THAN ORIG AND NO ONE WOULD EXCEPT RESPONS,I ENDED UP GETTING MY MONEY BACK,FROM RIMM,I GOT LONGER UPRATED SPRINGS OFF SHELF AND FITTED FROM ROBSPORT THANKS SIMON,USEING MY ORIG REAR SHOCKS,GREAT!!ON MY TR7/V8 FOR SALE OR SWAP ON FORUM,REGARDS TRIUMPH8BOB.

If you have quality, repairable shocks, the easy way to handle this problem, is to fit an extra bump stop rubber, on the shaft, inside the shock, above the piston. This shortens the extension of the shock, thus retaining shorter springs. Don't be frightened of playing with shocks, they are pretty simple things, once you have a look.

Errr ... This would not shorten the drop / full extension. I would reduce the thickness of the rubber mounts top and bottom to make them act shorter by slicing them in half or removing the lower washer and fitting the rubber mount hard against the shock barrel. Less flexing rubber means better acting shock absorbers. I assume these are telescopic with a pin at each end. You would have to put some extra thread on the pins and cut off whats obsolete. Rimmers have a reputation of bent flat Stag exhaust manifolds, and Spirfire head studs that break in half.

Edited by Steve Knight

Personally I wouldn't bother with either of them!

Spax are good but I only got 18 months out of mine before they were completely shot... Gaz are more durable but a real pain that you cannot adjust on car so that would rule them out for me.

However the shocks I found the best were KYB uprated shocks from S&S Preparations. Not adjustable, but they are spot on so you dont need to adjust anyway and have lasted a long time. At the end of the day I think unless you're setting up your car for different tracks then who can be bothered to mess around????

Part numbers for the spring insulators are: (P) means poly - they are off the shelf at Rimmers.

UKC82P Upper

UKC1108P Lower

Wayne

HI WAYNE,ROB HERE YOU BOUGHT MY BOXED SILLS FROM ME,REF TO GAZ SHOCKS MINE WERE ADJ ON CAR,MY PROB WAS THEY WERE 30MM TO SHORT,SO STD SPRINGS WERE ALREADY NEARLY CLOSED,SEE REPLY TO JEMGEE FOR FULL STORY,ALSO SENT BACK RET KIT TO RIM,AFTER A BIT OF STRESS DID GET MONEY BACK FROM RIMM ,I WAS ALSO TOLD ABOUT KYB BUT AS YET NOT CHANGED MY SET UP AGAIN WANT A REST!!SEE YOU SOON WAYNE,REGARDS ROB {ESSEX TR}