Bonnet Question for TR3

Is the near edge of the bonnet supposed to be flat sharp lipless steel?

Sorry, but what part of the bonnet are you referring to as the 'near edge' – lost in transatlantic translation?

Let me know and I'll post some photos.

Cheers

Andrew

posting your commission no might help, as along the back edge ( near the windscreen) some had a flat lipless finish, others had a folded lip maybe 3/8"-1/2" .

So they were both way's then? Thank you. Now I know what I have to deal with.

Both ways, Yes, but only early bonnets had the plain edge.

I suspect the later folded edge would have been introduced

with the 2-slot vent bonnet, so a 4-slot vent bonnet would have

the plain edge, but I don't know.

AlanR

Hi, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the rear lips were ground off at the factory to make some bonnets fit where the rear fouled the scuttle.

I have an early tr2 pre 900 comm. no. (4 slot) with a lip and a 1955 tr2 without a lip. ( both needing complete rebuilds) The bonnet without a lip is very flexible in that area so I may weld one on at some time if it doesn't cause any distortion.

Got me thinking now.I could bend up a piece in an L shape, ( over centre) shrink one edge to make the profile fit and spot weld it on. That would stiffen it up.

Regards Ken

This bonnet is a TWO Slot, lip less type. I don't know why, and the spare I bought in better condition from a man parting out a 57 TR3 is identical. They both have Rivets holding the hood to the rear frame which distorted it quite a bit and it took me many hours to get the bonnet flat again.... The owner is not going to be happy with the bill for the boot lid and the bonnet, and that was only putting it in epoxy primer...

FE