Speedo packed up

Hi all.

I went for a blast today to blow the cobwebs out,and do the req checks before Malvern arrives.

PING!!! the speedo packed up! :blink:

MMM?? A snapped cable methinks?,or come undone maybe?

I popped the cable off the speedo,and it wasnt going round!

Took the cover off the tunnel and undid the cable from angle drive,cable turns ok!

BINGO!! Its gotta be the angle drive then!!! ;)

YEP!

Took it off to find the cable snapped at the box/drive joint!

Simple fix then!!

Ive got a spare angle drive on a BW35 autobox I got as a spare for the P6 recently,and they are the same! :P

Fitted it to the TR box,tried it,all ok, fitted the speedo cable to it, tried it,all OK,fitted the cable to the speedo,tried it,,,,, Nothing! :huh::huh:

I backtracked to find the replacement angle drive had broken the same way!! B~**£R!!!

>>>>You know whats coming dont you!! ;)<<<<

YEP!!!

The speedo head itself has seized up solid! BUM!! :angry:

And I didnt check this out as a cause! :wacko:

Now luckily I have a spare early speedo I can fit, ;) and,,, somewhere amongst all the parts stashed in the house I am sure I have another angle drive!

An expensive mistake to make,as they aint cheap even s/h these days!

Will have to search out a couple at the show to replace my spares.

Meanwhile I can repair the bust one with an end of an old cable,or an oval nail as I did once before on my P6! that repair lasted for ages!

SO!!!

If your speedo packs up,make sure to check EVERYTHING out first and then replace the broken part!!

Or you run the risk of breaking the replacement part,and if you have just forked out a few quid for a new part,It will cost you that again!!

I'm off for a rummage in my spare parts room!!

Only god know where it is!!!

Dave,

While the tunnel was off did you sort your reversing lights.

What was the problemo.

Cheers

Guy

Hi Guy.

I only took the access panel off,but the problem is the switch is sticky,so it could do with taking off and lubricating,or replacing,I have a spare, its ok once its had a bit of use to loosen it up! But I will do it next time the cover comes right off!!

Hi Booga.

If you detach the cable from the speedo head does the inner cable go round ok?

If so, you need a replacement speedo or yours overhauled.

Am happy to fit you another speedo if you get one while at Malvern!!

Time for me din-dins!!

Dave

I have fixed/repaired them in the past as I have mentioned! ;)

But I also like to have a couple of original properjobs in stock incase a repair fails! ;)

Anyone got a couple of spares knocking about :P ??? ;)

Edited by PILKIE
HI Dave,

So you now have a mileage reading of 20k? ;)

BTW - my reverse lights packed up the other week - were working fine up until that point :(

Actually the replacement reads 77K,the believed actual mileage of my car is 97k,,,82k at resto in 1985 when a s/h speedo zero'ed was fitted,done 15k since,and I was thinking about turning it round to 97k to more fit in with its actual mileage,but decided against fiddling with a good speedo!

If you have limited mileage insce, better photo the new & old speedos in case you get queried at renewal.

Ivor

Good point Ivor,I will do that! ;)

Trfella,

Re rev lights.

Mine were stuck on,so a tad annoying for drivers behind me that got a little worried at junctions! :o

I disconnect the wire if they wont go off before a trip.

I will also have a play with the seized speedo to see if its fixable!!!