Follow-up Question on Side Curtains

Hey Folks,

I did a little more work trying to fit the side curtains, and realized that my problem is not in the side curtain, but in the Dzus brackets.

As you know, we Yanks are not known for our patience. It was a great American, Carrie Fisher, who said, "Instant Gratification Takes Too Long." :angry:

Twisting and squeezing and tapping has gotten a side curtain on, and fitting in the brackets. Here is my question, followed up by why I think that it is a good question.

IS THERE A HOLE IN THE DOOR PANEL, BEHIND EACH DZUS BRACKET? This hole would allow space for the catch to grab the wire and make connection.

The reason I ask: my brackets are installed flatly against the door panel. This puts the "wire" in the bracket TIGHTLY up against the panel. There is no "give" in this panel, so the "catch" part of the connector has no place to go when I push against it with the t-handle. So, it cannot grab onto the wire.

So, I took off the bracket and did several attempts at adding spacers behind the bracket, to pull it further off of the panel. Finally, after about a quarter-of-an-inch of spacers, my Dzus catch will grab the wire and hold on tight. The only problems: (1) the bracket is sitting out 1/4 from the panel, and (2) this puts alot more strain on the connection between the connecting bars and the side curtain, as the space has widened 1/4-inch.

So, allowing for my impatience, it seems that there are only two solutions to this problem. Put spacers behind all four brackets, or cut a round hole in the panel, behind each bracket.

What do YOUR Dzus brackets look like? Are there holes? Are there spacers?

(I have to pat myself on the back, as, at 66, I am FINALLY learning some patience and not beating on it with a hammer. (They always said that the difference between a good mechanic and a great mechanic is the size of his hammer.))

As usual, I look forward to hearing from you. :huh::huh::huh:

George

Just had a quick look at TRK's set-up - there are no visible holes behind the sidescreen plates, although I do suspect there is a small cut out in the door panel card behind the vinyl as there is a slight depression. The sidescreen plate should fit flush to the door card.

I'm sure someone on here has their door stripped down that can provide better info.

Anyway, as they say patience is a virgin!

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

If you look at the pictures of doors amongst some of the parts I am selling here you will see holes in the wooden blocks. These doors are actually from my previous 1958 TR3A, but I think the woodwork and sidescreen arrangements are the same on the later car.

I have the same problem on my current TR3A and should probably have cut a hole in the door cover panel when I retrimmed it in the early '80s, but the dzus fasteners gouged their own path into the board (but not right through into the woodwork). Everything works fine, but I keep meaning to neaten up the raggedy edges. If I can find any internal pictures of these later doors during the recent restoration I will post them.

[if thicker vinyl/leather or additional padding has been used in retrimming your car, either on the door covers or the cappings, this may account for some of your problems].

Edited by BrianC

The holes are there! I was working on the passenger side, and there clearly were no holes behind the brackets. Then, I checked the driver's side. Voilà!! Holes behind both brackets.

This makes sense, as the PPO told me, when he bought the car, it was a basket case, with some interior panels missing, MG seats, etc, etc. So, it appears that he had to install a new passenger side door panel, but not the driver's side.

I got the holes drilled, managing to save the upholstery, using an "+" cut across the pilot hole. The trouble is that the holes/brackets don't line up perfectly with the bars on the rebuilt side curtains. I had to make the holes where the bracket "holes" were, which was a little scary. After about 2 hours - in a 100º garage - of fiddling with the two brackets, I finally got both catches to fasten. I am going to let them sit there for a week or so, hoping that they will develop a "memory" of how they are supposed to fit. So, one side down and one to go. I will tackle the other side tomorrow. It should be easier, as the holes are already there. Famous last words.

One maddening thing: three of the four door brackets have adjustable holes, giving about 1/4" play on each side. The fourth bracket, one that I worked on today, had no adjustable holes.

Epilog: now I know how the coach-builders at Rolls-Royce feel. (Yes, I said Rolls-Royce and Triumph in the same sentence.) I saw a documentary on TV, about 40 years ago, of a coach-fitter putting the last touches on the driver's door adjustment. He closed the door, got up real close to it with his ear, ran his fingers up and down the fit, then opened the door, made a miniscule adjustment to a hinge screw, then closed the door, did it again, did it again. My Dad and I just laughed, and said, "[censored], they're making this piece for us Americans!" We got a good laugh out of that old man and his screwdriver, but I had to pull the same shenanigans to get these two Dzus connections to match up.

Hey Folks,

I did a little more work trying to fit the side curtains, and realized that my problem is not in the side curtain, but in the Dzus brackets.

As you know, we Yanks are not known for our patience. It was a great American, Carrie Fisher, who said, "Instant Gratification Takes Too Long." :angry:

Twisting and squeezing and tapping has gotten a side curtain on, and fitting in the brackets. Here is my question, followed up by why I think that it is a good question.

IS THERE A HOLE IN THE DOOR PANEL, BEHIND EACH DZUS BRACKET? This hole would allow space for the catch to grab the wire and make connection.

The reason I ask: my brackets are installed flatly against the door panel. This puts the "wire" in the bracket TIGHTLY up against the panel. There is no "give" in this panel, so the "catch" part of the connector has no place to go when I push against it with the t-handle. So, it cannot grab onto the wire.

So, I took off the bracket and did several attempts at adding spacers behind the bracket, to pull it further off of the panel. Finally, after about a quarter-of-an-inch of spacers, my Dzus catch will grab the wire and hold on tight. The only problems: (1) the bracket is sitting out 1/4 from the panel, and (2) this puts alot more strain on the connection between the connecting bars and the side curtain, as the space has widened 1/4-inch.

So, allowing for my impatience, it seems that there are only two solutions to this problem. Put spacers behind all four brackets, or cut a round hole in the panel, behind each bracket.

What do YOUR Dzus brackets look like? Are there holes? Are there spacers?

(I have to pat myself on the back, as, at 66, I am FINALLY learning some patience and not beating on it with a hammer. (They always said that the difference between a good mechanic and a great mechanic is the size of his hammer.))

As usual, I look forward to hearing from you. :huh::huh::huh:

Hi George

I had to laugh at your comment about YANKS

I see you are from Texas. Now when I was in South Africa I worked with a Texan on Shell refinery and he got very upset when I called him a Yank. He said he was a Texan not a BL***y Yank.

I like the comment about the hammer size too! Again in South Africa they call a monkey wrench (your terminology) an "Orange Free State" micrometer

Now to the business in hand. I have a 1958 TR3A which I have fitted Dzus brackets and sidescreens to with no problems as there was an indentation in the wooden brackets of about20mm. dia x 3mm deep and these suited the fasteners. The screens fit tightly as the irons appear to be too shallow to go over the door top rubber rolls, but a little patience and NO HAmmers and in they go, so you youngsters must take it easy!!! BTW I am 71 years old this year, and only finished the car last year here in Spain where you can get NOTHING for your restoration, everything has to come from Blighty.

Dave