Carbs fell off again

Cant beleive it but my carb mounts have split again. This is the 2nd set to go. Any body got any advice on how to stop this. I have a mount fitted below the air filter that sits on the cable mount, but does this not give enough support ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Guest Wayne S

Hi Richee,

There has been much trouble of late with the modern rubbers that are used in making the re-manufactured mounts. It's simply too hard and with the movement of the engine they soon fracture and split.

There are 2 solutions really :

1. Get a set of old ones, even of they have minor external cracking they will probs last longer than the re-manufactured ones.

2. Contact the Dolomite Club who supply alloy solid mounts - but at a price!

Wayne

Thanks,

I still have my original mounts that were minor cracked and I beleived were the source of bad running. On reflection these were probably not as I had to rebuild carbs anyway. Will put original mounts on while I investigate the solid dolly ones.

Thanks again.

Hi Richee,

Minor cracks in the original mounts can be repaired (to at least some extent) by gluing them up with old-fashioned cold vulcanising solution, the stuff garages use for tyre puncture repair. Quick easy fix, which can last a surprisingly long time.

Cheers,

Alec

Richie,

All good advice given and I have heard of this alot. I think you can still get the original ones at about the same price as the dolomite club ones, these are solid aluminium.

You will be able to tell if original if they have PAULSTRA letter raised in the rubber.

Jim ;)

Last evening replaced the carb mounts with a second hand pair. These did in fact have Paulstra on the rubber. These were not my cracked ones but by chance noticed that a 2nd hand manifold i had still had the mounts on them and look pretty good. Will keep yourselves informed on how i get one.

Thanks

Richeee

Last evening replaced the carb mounts with a second hand pair. These did in fact have Paulstra on the rubber. These were not my cracked ones but by chance noticed that a 2nd hand manifold i had still had the mounts on them and look pretty good. Will keep yourselves informed on how i get one.

Thanks

Richeee

Richee,

I had the same problem with the repro type, mine lasted 6 months. The repro type melt when they come in contact with petrol! Paulstra are the original. Like you I got hold of some used good original types. Its a bit pointless making parts that in the end nobody will buy.