Brantz rally gear

Hi all,

For the last few years my wife and I have taken part in a some "non competitive" rallys (mainly the Harvest Tour). Although these are non competitive, (for now at least) they are still quite a challenge and we get a kick out of trying to get a better score than our friends that also take part. We have had a couple of third places and felt quite pleased with that for amateurs with no equipment other than a normal watch and a misreading odometer! So anyway, now I have a new 'problem' - a family friend has donated me a Brantz International 1 and Rally Clock that he inherited. Obviously I am quite chuffed with this! I have read some of the info on here and elsewhere on the net and know that most people would probably go for the International 2 if given the choice, but bearing in mind the low level of use (and that it is free!), I am hoping to put it to some use. We will of course come last now that we have some 'proper' equipment!

Now to the actual question...! :blink:

The only part that I do not have is the speed sensor. I understand that there are a few options. I think from what I have read that my best bet is to go for the sensor that interrupts the speedo cable - would you agree? If so, how easy is it to fit one of these? I have no idea if I have cable cutters strong enough to cut through the cable - does it have to be precision clean or can I get through it with a hacksaw!? Also, where would one fit the sensor - i.e. which end is it easiest to fit it at, can it fit behind the dash etc...

Anyway hopefully an easy question for the hardened rally drivers out there!

Regards,

Michael.

CONCRETE24

The sensor you are referring to is the Brantz BR1 and can be obtained from Demon Tweeks.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/Pro...p;pcode=BNZBR2A

I have found that it is best fitted in the engine bay where the speedo cable comes out through the bulkhead.

I then wire it up using a 5amp 3core domestic type cable from the sensor to the trip meter.

The pick-ups are colour coded on the sensor and also on the cables from the trip meter

Sensor is Green, Blue, Brown.

Trip is also Green, Blue, and Brown

Installation insructions can be found on the Brantz web site

http://www.brantz.co.uk/html/english/index.html

Also the manual can be ofound on the same site.

Don't buy a manual off Demon Tweeks as it is free off the Brantz web site.

Hope this helps

CONCRETE24

The sensor you are referring to is the Brantz BR1 and can be obtained from Demon Tweeks.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/Pro...p;pcode=BNZBR2A

I have found that it is best fitted in the engine bay where the speedo cable comes out through the bulkhead.

I then wire it up using a 5amp 3core domestic type cable from the sensor to the trip meter.

The pick-ups are colour coded on the sensor and also on the cables from the trip meter

Sensor is Green, Blue, Brown.

Trip is also Green, Blue, and Brown

Installation insructions can be found on the Brantz web site

Also the manual can be ofound on the same site.

Don't buy a manual off Demon Tweeks as it is free off the Brantz web site.

Hope this helps

Great reply (not that I know anything about it!)

Shows the value of the Forum and the willingness of those in the know to help.

AlanR

AlanR

Agreed - very helpful response - thanks!

Regards,

Michael.

AlanR

Funnily enough Ive just fitted the very item to our TR4 speedo cable. Yes you can cut it with a junior hacksaw, but make sure that you push the outer cable halves very firmly into each side of the sensor and clamp them in place with small jubilee clips, not too tight just enough to hold them.

The one thing that was difficult was getting the inner cable to feed through the rotating disc in the sensor, it says push firmly... firmly is a massive understatement, it really takes some brute force and determination to get it through with the thicker inner cables. just persevere.

Once you've got it fitted the most important element is to calibrate it accurately to the measured distance at the beginning of each event... do it three or four times if necessary until you're happy.

Cheers

Darren

Hi

a few extra things (willywonka has given you the full sp on the meters) ..

1. Before you cut the speedo cable outer, run a line of gaffa tape round it and cut in the centre .... the tape stops the cable fraying as you cut (or, simply pinch it with a set of sharp pliers and nip the end off) ..... this ultimately lets the cable run freely and avoids unnecessary breakages of the inner ... ditch all the bits after you have done this as they will be swarf laden

2. If you warm the inner cable up prior to insertion (how many times have you heard that !) it goes through much easier ..... but make sure the interference fit is tight.

3. Fit the outer with gaffa tape 'shields' around the edges to stop the inner catching an fraying;

4. Check the cable alignment near the gearbox ... it must be dead straight ... most cable snaps happen withing 12 inches of the speedo drive. I dont run the angle drive either (cable loops under the carpet .... and you need to run mats / carpet on a road rally)

5. take a tip from an old hand and have another cable cut and ready to replace in your spares kit!

6. Lastly ... oil the cable before you fit it ...

Best regards

Tony

Thanks for the extra tips Tony! I have now ordered the sensor, so shall be printing these instructions and sellotaping them to the garage wall forthwith! I might have a practice on an old, redundant speedo cable before I make the cut on the real thing!

All the best,

Michael.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to revive this topic briefly for a question on tripmeter sensors...

I've got a Brantz RetroTrip fitted to my TR4 with the speedo sensor and it seems to work OK. It was on the car when I bought it.

I followed Willywonka's useful link to the Brantz website and I notice it reccommends the cable sensor as being the best choice. So far so good. But I'd been thinking of swapping to a wheel sensor, the type which 'counts' the brake disc bolts, which can also be difficult to fit and calibrate, but are more common on loose surface stage rally cars with RWD as lots of wheelspin will cause the speedo-sensed trip to overread.

What do you think? Why do Brantz seem to favour the speedo cable sensor? Anyone had problems with this or am I being too fussy and in practice the trip accuracy is good enough? I suppose it's only the total distance readout which will suffer, usually.

BTW, it's fairly easy to use a wheel sensor to read the propshaft bolts instead, you just need to make up a suitable bracket, saves cutting speedo cables. My Bowler offroad racer has it's Terratrip sensor driven by a small strip of steel welded to transmission brake drum behind the gearbox, but of course being 4WD the front wheels suffer from as much wheelspin as the rear ones! You'd be surprise how much further the trip says we seem to have travelled on a really muddy event.....

Nigel