"CRUSH" - washers leaking

We have noticed some small hydraulic leaks at the clutch slave and brake line connections wherever a crush washer is used. We are utilizing the correct copper "crush" washers and tightening torque. Even after applying 20 percent more than specified torque, the leaks continue. Like many parts and supplies we have bought in recent years, we thought that the washers might be defective, that is perhaps the copper in present day washers might be too hard. We may try to anneal one of the copper washers to see if this affects and improvement. Also, we are considering aluminum or even nitrile faced, SS sealing washers in order to remedy this nuisance. However, I wanted to first ask for any sage advice that might be available on this forum.

Edited by angelfj
We have noticed some small hydraulic leaks at the clutch slave and brake line connections wherever a crush washer is used. We are utilizing the correct copper "crush" washers and tightening torque. Even after applying 20 percent more than specified torque, the leaks continue. Like many parts and supplies we have bought in recent years, we thought that the washers might be defective, that is perhaps the copper in present day washers might be too hard. We may try to anneal one of the copper washers to see if this affects and improvement. Also, we are considering aluminum or even nitrile faced, SS sealing washers in order to remedy this nuisance. However, I wanted to first ask for any sage advice that might be available on this forum.

Frank check the faces of the Banjo fitting to ensure they are flat. They may need lapping in. The Dowty washers may not be compatable with brake fluid.

Stuart.

Hi Frank,

Stuart could well be correct, although I'd suspect the seals more than the faces.

I've not come across problems with correctly torqued crush washers, only with seals. That's using OE parts, by the way, not cheap repro. The problem solved by switching to another major brand of component.

That's not rubbishing SBF, it's just one of the vagaries that some seals appear to be fine with SBF and others less so. But then the seals were designed for glycol-based fluid, not SBF. As I recall, the systems in question were fine initially, minute leakage problems didn't appear until a few weeks later. You may find that just replacing with another brand solves the problem, but it's certainly worth cooking the copper as a first effort.

Cheers,

Alec