2500 saloon rear swing arms

Hi all, just a question from all the way down in New Zealand. I have owned & raced a 1976 2.5 P I saloon for 32 years & it has just develped a new problem. Twice now it has pulled the rear bearing housing attatching studs out of the swing arm. The studs were originally loctited in the arm when they first pulled out, so I fitted a second hand swing arm into which I fitted helicoils UNF type & loctited new studs in. These came out after 2 races at Taupo. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Mike

On my IRS cars (saloons or TR), I never fit elicoils, but modified Austin Mini head studs, because I have plenty of these : I keep the UNC side of the stud, shortened it, and modified the other end at a metric side, 8x125.

Then I screw and loctited the UNC side of the stud in the trailing arm, that I have modifed to suit (not sure to be clear, My English is not good enough, sorry).

It never moved again but I don't race my cars ;) .

Hope this helps,

Chis.

PS : I have several pairs of saloon trailing arms here, but can be costly to be send in New Zealand....

Hi and welcome.

32 years racing and the studs have just started letting go? You must be a very kind driver and pretty careful with the torque wrench. :P

As Chris says, the threads in the trailing arm should have been UNC not UNF, good ole Triumph <_<

If you can't get UNC helicoils to hold, then may have to go to the next size up.

I had to have some replaced on my TR6, and no one's been racing that AFAIK.

Ivor