wiring in the GEU2206M alternator

Wiring the GEU2206M Alternator (I got it from Moss)

The best guide you will find for this is an article by Dan Masters at the Vintage Triumph Register site. (Richard Pam also has an article there on using the old regulator control box(CB) as a neat junction box for the old leads.)

Dan’s instructions are:

At the control box end, look for the following wires:

Small Black Remove and discard

Small Brown/yellow disconnect and tie together

Small Brown/Green with an insulated connector.

Large brown/yellow using a large solder type butt connector

Large brown/white connect all of these wires together and insulate

Large brown/blue with heat shrink tubing. Be aware this connection

Small brown/blue carries ALL of the current for the car so it must be a

good connection. You do not want a high resistance

here…….

Dan then follows with advice on wiring the new alternator, a different model to mine.

On my 4A the wires are as follows:

Small black to earth

Small brown/yellow from generator warning light

Small brown/green* from old generator (?field)

Large brown/yellow* power from old generator

Large brown/white from ammeter downstream side

Large brown blue power to ignition switch

Small brown/blue power to horn relay

The other (generator end) of the small brown/green and the large brown/yellow wires are now sticking out of the loom about a foot and a half down from the control box, unconnected to anything. (They are easily accessed with a multimeter to check the continuity too.)

For that reason I saw no point in soldering the large brown/yellow wire to anything, and I didn’t want the genny end live, which it would be if I soldered it to the others. I put heatshrink over both ends and used a plastic fastener to hold it on the main part of the loom. Same for the small brown/green wire ends.

My new alternator had two leads provided with it, already plugged into the alternator. Large and small brown wires connected to a fair sized ring terminal, and a small brown /yellow lead with a male spade connector on it.

'Rhodri' has already advised that the ring terminal(with the brown wires) goes on the battery side of the starter solenoid (and then to the battery) and the brown/yellow goes to the generator warning light. I’ll use the small brown/yellow mentioned above (off D on the CB), that Dan didn’t use for anything, to connect the small brown/yellow from the alternator to the warning light.

(Comment from electrics experts welcomed if I've stuffed anything up!) (Sorry all my beautiful tabbing has gone for a burton.)

Edited by littlejim

In addition, you could look at TRAction 118 or Section J4 of the Technicalities CD (page J23 onwards), where I described the fitment of a TR7-type alternator to my TR4. Anyone without access to those sources can e-mail me (ifcornish@btinternet.com) for a copy of the article.

Ian Cornish

Don't know about you, but I've asked Ian for a copy of his article.

Because I liked the Richard Pam idea of using the regulator control box (CB) as a junction box for the wires after the alternator is fitted, I tried to get an old case in Canberra. It is in the same category as the well known hen's teeth and rocking horse manure.

I eventually worked out a reversible way of converting the CB, I know you thought of it straight away, but it took me a while.

I've severed the brass links under the CB so the connectors on the front lead nowhere, a dremel cut off disk did the job. If it needs to be converted back to a working regulator, some big blobs of solder should do the trick. As I am going to use A and A1 to join the brown/blue and brown/white (like richard Pam did) I'll have to solder a beefy connection between the two. (I've just found they already have a substantial shunt connecting them inside the case. I now have two shunts.)

Edited by littlejim