1963 TR4 Dashboard gauges switches etc

Hi, I wonder if some one can give me some advice on what an original TR4 dashboard with gauges knobs etc all in their correct positions should look like (or if easier show me a picture of an original TR4 Dashboard). My Tr is in pretty good order but I am keen to have it as original as possible. I have the original white dash but believe the switches are not in their right places. Should the light switch be a stalk in the steering column? Flat or domed glass? Smiths or Jaeger? How do I open the vent from inside the car? What is the correct original radio for this year? Am I being too nitpicky and should I just enjoy the (hopefully good) summer driving?

Thanks

Sri

Hi Sri,

OK, Minor gauges first: Top Left=oil, TR=Fuel, BL=Temp, BR=Amps

You'll need to check your CT number for the correct gauge type as there was a change from domed to flat glass around that time.

Lights are on a 2-positon pull-switch far left of centre console/switch-bank. TR4a had lights on the stalk.

Well done on the white dash - I love mine, although you'll find others can't stand them!

Smiths/ Jaeger: same difference. All gauges bar the ammeter (LUCAS) should be smiths/jaeger

You open the scuttle vent with a lever just to the right of the choke pul. Reach slightly under the dash and you should find it at the end of the swith console. It may not be connected however

Radio-wise, a radiomobile/ smiths thing wouls suffice - check fleabay.

cheers

Adey

Hi Sri,

You'll need to check your CT number for the correct gauge type as there was a change from domed to flat glass around that time.

Lights are on a 2-positon pull-switch far left of centre console/switch-bank. TR4a had lights on the stalk.

Well done on the white dash - I love mine, although you'll find others can't stand them!

Smiths/ Jaeger: same difference. All gauges bar the ammeter (LUCAS) should be smiths/jaeger

You open the scuttle vent with a lever just to the right of the choke pul. Reach slightly under the dash and you should find it at the end of the swith console. It may not be connected however

cheers

Adey

Worth trying to pick up a copy of Bill Piggott's "Original Triumph TR4/4A/5/6", as - apart from the text - it contains many useful photos. I don't know whether it's still in print (try the Register's on-line Sales), but it can be found at autojumbles.

Ian Cornish

The Triumph workshop manual shows the dahboard in details, RHD/LHD and so does the Haynes. Will give you the last word on it.

badfrog

Hi Sri,

cheers

Hi Adey,

Thanks for this. I will check the CT number tomorrow when I have better light in the garage. It appears that the significant difference is the lights which are on a stalk in the steering column although mines a TR4 not an "A". More tomorrow.

Thanks again

Sri

Adey

Hi Adey, Thanks for this. It appears the main difference is the light switch. I have it on a stalk in the the steering column although mines not a TR4A. I will check the CT number tomorrow when I have more light in the garage.

Thanks again

Sri

Worth trying to pick up a copy of Bill Piggott's "Original Triumph TR4/4A/5/6", as - apart from the text - it contains many useful photos. I don't know whether it's still in print (try the Register's on-line Sales), but it can be found at autojumbles.

Ian Cornish

The TR4 lighting switch was not available for quite a while, and that may be why the car was changed to the column switch. Moss now stocks that swtich, so you can restore your car to original.

Hi,

Thanks for all your helpful information and advice.

Adey, The CT number is 21455. Does this make it need a domed or flat glass?

The scuttle vent is not connected as you suspected. I have the long steel arm, I think, but not the connection at the other end to the scuttle. Not knowing what the finished job should look like doesnt help.

Ian, I have a copy of Bill P's Haynes great cars series on "Triumph TR - TR2 to 6" but I will try to get a copy of the book you mention. Perhaps I am better off going for the workshop manual as suggetsed by Badfrog.

Smokey, I will also contact Moss to get the correct light switch. Does this mean there should be only the indicator on the stalk to the right of the steering wheel?

Thanks all. I have some fun things to do if it rains over the weekend.

Sri

Hi,

Thanks for all your helpful information and advice.

Adey, The CT number is 21455. Does this make it need a domed or flat glass?

The scuttle vent is not connected as you suspected. I have the long steel arm, I think, but not the connection at the other end to the scuttle. Not knowing what the finished job should look like doesnt help.

Ian, I have a copy of Bill P's Haynes great cars series on "Triumph TR - TR2 to 6" but I will try to get a copy of the book you mention. Perhaps I am better off going for the workshop manual as suggetsed by Badfrog.

Smokey, I will also contact Moss to get the correct light switch. Does this mean there should be only the indicator on the stalk to the right of the steering wheel?

Sri

Hi Sri, there is some question which side the turn indicator stalk goes on. For left hand drive, the Driver's Manual shows it on the right, but the Workshop Manual (page 4-207) shows it on the left. My car CT2966L has it on the left, and it would not fit on the right hand side when I was restoring it, so I think left is correct on LHD. Others may want to comment re RHD. Make sure the cancelling lugs on the inner steering column are aligned correctly. The lighting switch is on the panel in the middle under the gauges, and is on the far left on LHD. The best bet is to get the Bentley reprint of the Workshop Manual - it's invaluable and essential if you're doing any work on the car.

Brooklands Books produced the official reproduction of the Workshop Manual (510322) and I think you'll find you can get it from the TR Register - try the Register's on-line sales or call Brian Sparrowhawk at the Register's Office. When I was at Brooklands Books organising the reproduction of the TR5 Owner's Handbook, I was told that ALL the Triumph Workshop Manuals, Parts Catalogues and Owner's Handbooks were available - something of which Brooklands can be proud and for which we can be grateful.

I don't have Bill's Great Cars (Haynes) book, so cannot comment, but I do know that there are excellent photos in all his "Original Triumph TR" books, and, useful as Workshop Manuals are, the photos add so much more. In addition, Bill's text is well-written and very detailed - as one would expect, of course.

Ian Cornish

Sri

Hi Sri,

The turn indicator stalk should be on the left with overdrive on the right of the column. If you need a quick reference as to where things go, try the relevant section jn the Moss catalogue (on line) and you should get a decent "General Arrangement" drawing.

Hope you had fun at the weekend as it certainly rained here!

Steve