switching fluid in a J-type o/d transmission

hi all,

this is one of three forums regarding tr's that i frequent and thought that i would ask this "?" here. about a year ago i replaced the transmission fluid in my gearbox but recently i have read that GL5 is not the recommended fluid for our gearbox's which have "yellow metal" components that can become degraded/corroded by the sulphurous additives contained. since GL4 is difficult to source where i live i chose valvoline synthetic GL5 which is supposed to be "yellow metal" safe. even more recently, i have read on Quantum Mechanics site (http://www.quantumechanics.com/categories.php?op=newindex&catid=11) that 30 wt, non-detergent oil is the best, so i replaced the GL5 with that today. on a spirited test drive the transmission shifted beautifully and the overdrive worked just great also (both engaging and disengaging). now this is where i have a problem; as was pointed out on another forum which i saw after i got home the Quantum article cited tests in a freshly rebuilt o/d which mine is not. should i be concerned or get a life and stop reading so much?

sorry if this is a silly question, but thanks in advance,

c74

Don't know the Valvoline, but in general you did right to get rid of the GL5.

As regards straight 30 oil, if you do a search on gearbox oil you will find a cacophany of disagreement.

Can't search on 'oil' you may say, which it true because the search engine gets overloaded, but here's how to do it:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....showtopic=16542

Now I'll leave you to read all the opinions/experience about gearbox oil. :P

Ivor

Me? I'm a stick-in-the mud, I use EP90 GL4.

Don't know the Valvoline, but in general you did right to get rid of the GL5.

As regards straight 30 oil, if you do a search on gearbox oil you will find a cacophany of disagreement.

Can't search on 'oil' you may say, which it true because the search engine gets overloaded, but here's how to do it:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....showtopic=16542

Now I'll leave you to read all the opinions/experience about gearbox oil. :P

Ivor

Me? I'm a stick-in-the mud, I use EP90 GL4.

I am a stick in the mud also, I think the factory knew what was best, they lost if there were warranty claims. So, that is that. I will continue to be a stick in the mud. 8500 miles, GL4, no problem. My trans and OD work flawless. Pennzoil was and probable still is making GL-4. Cheers

Hi Charlie,

most gearbox oils will function OK (as Ivor states there is a great divide in opinion) EP oils not overly rated or required. Engine oil not so good as it may froth.

SAE 30 lubricates fine but may leak due to its thinnocity (technical term) 40 or 50 may hold back the flood.

Penrite 30 gearbox, Castrol XXL do a fine job.

Roger