Hi,

Have been a member in the past with a TR6 and after several other cars since,I am again looking for a 4a or 6,currently with little success,so if anyone has one requiring no work.

The reason for the post is that I have resisted looking at a couple of 4A`s without overdrive on the basis that I will be using the car for touring and I also assume that a non od car will not sell so well in the future as one with.

However if I went the non od route,how easy is it to obtain a replacement od gearbox and can anyone suggest what sort of budget I should allow, including fitting,which I would not intend to do myself.

Any advice appreciated.

John

John,

If you go for a gearbox with the A Type Overdrive (correct for a TR4 / 4A) then you can pick them up from £200 - £300 upwards (if you're lucky)

They may need a rebuild or at least a thorough inspection which will cost you a few hundred quid also.......

Then you need to fit it - if you can do it yourself - bingo, if not then a few hundred quid in labour....

I suggest you budget £1200 - £1500 for the conversion, if you get a professional to do it (maybe us!)

Or you can save cash if you can do some of it yourself.....

Regards

Mark

www.classic-marques.co.uk

John,

If you go for a gearbox with the A Type Overdrive (correct for a TR4 / 4A) then you can pick them up from £200 - £300 upwards (if you're lucky)

They may need a rebuild or at least a thorough inspection which will cost you a few hundred quid also.......

Then you need to fit it - if you can do it yourself - bingo, if not then a few hundred quid in labour....

I suggest you budget £1200 - £1500 for the conversion, if you get a professional to do it (maybe us!)

Or you can save cash if you can do some of it yourself.....

Regards

Mark

www.classic-marques.co.uk

Thank you Mark.

Regards

John

Edited by johnn

The TR Shop flyer in the latest Traction has an outright overdrive box for c£1,400. Then you just need a Charles Atlas course to help instal it... :P

Hi,

Have been a member in the past with a TR6 and after several other cars since,I am again looking for a 4a or 6,currently with little success,so if anyone has one requiring no work.

The reason for the post is that I have resisted looking at a couple of 4A`s without overdrive on the basis that I will be using the car for touring and I also assume that a non od car will not sell so well in the future as one with.

However if I went the non od route,how easy is it to obtain a replacement od gearbox and can anyone suggest what sort of budget I should allow, including fitting,which I would not intend to do myself.

Any advice appreciated.

John

John - I bought a TR4A without overdrive last year and toyed with the idea of fitting an overdrive gearbox. I'm glad I did - it has transformed it! But getting a decent one at a decent price was a problem. Through this forum I was put in contact wiith Steve Craig, Clyde Valley leader (Tel: 01475-675551), a thoroughly decent guy, who soon had me sorted with a fully reconditioned gearbox with overdrive. It was worth the expense of a ferry trip to buy it because he charged a very reasonable price, significantly less than you see advertised (+ my non-overdrive gearbox in exchange). He's an interest in gearboxes and usually has a few about. Give him a call.