TR4 Low at the Front

post-104-1239796214_thumb.jpgI finally got the TR4 out of the garge after 9 years work to get it rebuilt and the TR6 engine installed.

It is very low at the front. The chassis is less than 7cm or 3 inches off the ground. My TR3 has a clearance of 10cm which is about as low as I want.

I investigated the spring rates for the various cars in the TR range to select the correct spring, to my suprise found that the spring rates were the same when the larger engine was fitted.

Or that is what I thought, it is now abit low as shown on the picture (high at the back but no fuel, spare wheel and new springs).

So now I either need to shim the spring or get some different springs so 2 questions.

1. How thick are the TR4 spring spacers and has anyone got any spare ones ?

2. Which springs should I have? I am after ride hieght not super firm ride.

It sounded great though !!!!!

post-104-1239796214_thumb.jpg

TR2/3s and early TR4s had a shorter spring with an aluminium spring spacer.

The spacer is approx. 1 1/4" but I'll let someone else give you an exact dimension.

4As, 5s and 6s had a longer springs and no spacer.

For a long time, replacement springs were only available in the longer length,

which meant you had to dispense with the spacer. No real difference although

there will always be differing opinions as to the ride.

Now (and I don't know for how long) the shorter springs have been available.

It could just be that your TR has been fitted with longer springs in the past,

spacer disposed of, then new (correct) short springs fitted but without the

spacer.

This may seem a bit of a long shot, but there's not many causes of a TR

being so low at the front.

AlanR

post-104-1239796214_thumb.jpgI finally got the TR4 out of the garge after 9 years work to get it rebuilt and the TR6 engine installed.

It is very low at the front. The chassis is less than 7cm or 3 inches off the ground. My TR3 has a clearance of 10cm which is about as low as I want.

I investigated the spring rates for the various cars in the TR range to select the correct spring, to my suprise found that the spring rates were the same when the larger engine was fitted.

Or that is what I thought, it is now abit low as shown on the picture (high at the back but no fuel, spare wheel and new springs).

So now I either need to shim the spring or get some different springs so 2 questions.

1. How thick are the TR4 spring spacers and has anyone got any spare ones ?

2. Which springs should I have? I am after ride hieght not super firm ride.

It sounded great though !!!!!

Hi,

With the car supported under the chassis, and the spring pan down on the bump stop, my springs are 210mm long. The top of the spacer is just visable in the top of the "V" cut out. From there it is 31mm tall to the spring.

I must say that my car is far from origional, so these may be the 4th set of springs for all I know, please dont take these measurements as gospel. However the 31mm sounds like what you are missing.

Sorry I dont have any spacers for you, but as they are made of aluminum and dont have a very complicated shape, anyone with basic knowledge on a lathe could knock up a set for you.

Cheers,

Richard.