Rocker cover orientation

Hi all

Could someone please confirm the correct orientation of the rocker cover on a TR3A. Oil filler at front or rear?

I have seen pictures of both. I'm just curious.

Also, what is the small flange with hole used for (on rear nearside corner of cover with filler at front)

thanks

Steve

Hi all

Could someone please confirm the correct orientation of the rocker cover on a TR3A.

All TR2 / 3 / 3As had the oil filler in the front of the rocker cover

All TR3B / 4 / 4As had the oil filler in the rear.

The function of the small tab on the left rear of the rocker cover has been bebated many times. That engine was used by other car companies and other Triumph lines so maybe it had a use in other applications.

Lou Metelko

Auburn, Indiana

USA

54 TR2LD TS981L

Hi all

Could someone please confirm the correct orientation of the rocker cover on a TR3A.

All TR2 / 3 / 3As had the oil filler in the front of the rocker cover

All TR3B / 4 / 4As had the oil filler in the rear.

The function of the small tab on the left rear of the rocker cover has been bebated many times. That engine was used by other car companies and other Triumph lines so maybe it had a use in other applications.

Lou Metelko

Auburn, Indiana

USA

54 TR2LD TS981L

Lou that pretty much sums it up. The usual confusion occurs when a 4 engine has been used in a 3! ;)

Stuart

...........The usual confusion occurs when a 4 engine has been used in a 3! ;)

Stuart

Stuart

Is there a difference in oil flow to the rockers, as TRK has a 4 engine fitted (high port head) and I've fitted the oil filler to the front (as per 3A) and the filler gauze does seem to need frequent 'draining'?

Cheers

Andrew

Stuart

Is there a difference in oil flow to the rockers, as TRK has a 4 engine fitted (high port head) and I've fitted the oil filler to the front (as per 3A) and the filler gauze does seem to need frequent 'draining'?

Cheers

Andrew

Not as far as I know Andrew. It may be worth checking that the block breather is completely clear or come to that check it is fitted. ;)

Stuart

Not as far as I know Andrew. It may be worth checking that the block breather is completely clear or come to that check it is fitted. ;) Stuart

Yeah, the block breather is fitted and fine. It's not a problem but maybe the engine is still a little tight - anyway, I always carry a 'Ventolin'! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith