Oil cooler and heat reduction

Hi TR fans

Finally the old TR4 is driving like I always wanted it to...... it took me a 1½ year to get there .... :rolleyes:

Now it is time to do some small "upgrades" and i want to hear your opinon on these matters ....!

I want to fit an oil cooler, where is the best spot for the cooler and how many row's do I need 10, 12 ..... ....?

I have fitted an tubular manifold and it's perfekt, but it produces very much heat, so when I drive in trafic my SU's starts to " boil " :( . So I want to hear your opion on these two products .... Which is the best and at the same time easy to install on manifold while it is mounted in the car ..... ? http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProd...ateIndexID=6188

Please excuse my poor english ..... :rolleyes::lol:

Regards

Peter

DK

Hi Peter,

unless you're really pushing your 4 you shouldn't need an oil cooler (more bits to go wrong) - especially in Denmark. Have you got a problem with oil pressure once the engine is warm - perhaps you need a replacement oil pump.

The 2" wide wrap is effective but some posters have a fear that it may trap oil/petrol and ignite. There is a ceramic coating that can be applied to the manifold

that works effectively (so says the Mustang man at the Ace cafe today and he should know he has two manifolds) - try googling CAMCOAT.

Roger

The only TR owners I know who have installed an oil cooler are all racing their TR where an oil cooler is a wise item to have. I have heard that you may have surprise leaks with the extra fittings but also if the engine oil gets too cool, you can get into problems with your engine. I have never needed an oil cooler in 180,000 miles driving my 1958 TR3A. I have owned it 51 years and it runs fine without an oil cooler. These cars were very well engineered when they were designed.

The only TR owners I know who have installed an oil cooler are all racing their TR

where an oil cooler is a wise item to have.

Hi Peter,

Although I do have an oil cooler fitted (and don't go racing) my engine

is fairly well-modified. Even then, I wouldn't expect to need it unless I

was touring in a hot country (one of these days - I live in hope)

The Don is right - you won't need an oil cooler for normal or even hard

driving in your country.

Many owners fit heat shields to give the carbs some protection against

the heat of the manifold, especially a 4-branch. These are readily available

for webers - not sure if you can get them for SUs.

Exhaust wrap also helps.

AlanR

The Roadster Factory in the US sells a heat shield for SUs.

Hi Peter,

Do you have the asbestos-like insulator spacers installed?

On my previous engine, I had two per carb (longer bolts) and an alloy heat screen hiding the exhaust mounted in between the two insulators. You can check the setting on any Volvo Amazon 122S , that's were I got the idea.

Worked wonders.

Oil rad is for highly revved engines only. Don't think you need the plumbing.

Badfrog

• 1 month later...