Figure of Eight seal

Hi,

I am about to fit new liners to my engine and they are supplied with steel Fo8 seals. However, amongst my collection of parts, I have a pair of original Stanpart copper Fo8 seals which I assume are no longer available. Can anybody recommend which is the best to fit?

Cheers

Graeme

Steel rusts, if you haven't got enough corrosion inhibitors in the radiator water. I managed to get copper ones from Revingtons and I believe that they were a different thickness to the steel ones that I had, which helped when setting the above deck height of the liners.

Rod

Hi Graeme,

there should be little difference. The copper will not corrode as fast as the steel but they should both be well covered in Wellseal or similar when installed to stop/reduce the likelyhood of corrosion. Many are now supplied in aluminium.

Make sure that whatever you choose you allow the liner to protrude by 0.005".

Roger

I believe that Revington can still supply all three sorts of 'f o 8' seals in steel, aluminium and copper and I think they are different thicknesses with steel being the thinnest. But copper and aluminium have a greater 'squish' quotient than steel, so it is possible that you end up with the same net thickness for all three.

Perhaps the various suppliers or members of the Forum may have further info as to whether you actually end up with a thicker seal than steel when the copper or aluminium seals are compressed?

Geoff

Last set I fitted albeit in a Fergy T20 engine were copper supplied by TR Shop and covered in wellseal when fitted worked a treat and although they do squish a bit they still gave more height when compressed. Especially good with a copper head gasket

Stuart.

Edited by stuart