screen frame adjustment

Hi Guys

I've recently refurbed the screen frame and on refitting I'm trying to adjust the angle so that the side screen glass has a good clearance at the top of the screen frame.

I seem to be having a problem with the concept. I cant see how the frame angle can be adjusted without either

1 placing packing pieces at the rear of the frame or

2 physically bending the screen frame.

Is there adjustment on the tube brackets that hold the frame in place?

Cheers

Darren

Hi Darren,

I can only go by my car but I too thought that there may be provision for adjustment within the mountings of the brackets. After loosening the bolts off I found that to all intents and purposes there was none and came to the conclusion that if the fit was not quite perfect, then that was the way it had left the factory.

Steve

My Website

It is possible to get some adjustment on the lower nuts and if you elongate the fixing holes in the edge of the scuttle slightly. Dont forget to slacken the 3 bolts across the dash top as well. Remember you only need a small amount of movement at the scuttle end to make a huge difference at the top of the screen. Remember to check the sealant to the scuttle after any adjustment.

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Thanks for this.

It is only an eigth of an inch I need at the very top, so elongating the holes where the bracket is secured sounds favourite.

I also experimented with cutting a couple of spacers out of quarter inch rubber and locating them at the rear edge of the frame just behind the locating points. I then tightened the three front securing points first and then just lightly nipped the rear securing bolts. This worked but the word 'bodge' sprang to mind.

I'll take a look in the cold light of day and get elongating.

Cheers

Darren

Hi Stuart

Thanks for this.

It is only an eigth of an inch I need at the very top, so elongating the holes where the bracket is secured sounds favourite.

I also experimented with cutting a couple of spacers out of quarter inch rubber and locating them at the rear edge of the frame just behind the locating points. I then tightened the three front securing points first and then just lightly nipped the rear securing bolts. This worked but the word 'bodge' sprang to mind.

I'll take a look in the cold light of day and get elongating.

Cheers

Darren

Darren if its only an eighth of an inch at the top that you need then it wont take much movement at the bottom to achieve that.

Stuart.

Darren

I have had the same problem with my 4, its worse when you fit the soft top as this pulls the screen back. I found the rubber seal under the screen had compressed a bit so re-tightened the 3 bolts at the front. The screen seems more solid but I have not tried the top again yet.

Cheers

Alan

Hi guys

Screen adjusted and all is well. A few points I found useful during the process.

Ensure that all three bolts holding the side brackets are loose (the two at the top outer of the A post and the one you need to get to from the footwell. As well as the three bolts at the front of the screen and the two on the locating extensions.

Once these are properly loose you can move the screen angle up and down significantly.

Secondly get a bit of weight in the car... your other half is a good starting point but don't mention the weight issue as they tend to be a little sensitive.

I found that with weight in the car it does close the gaps up a little... very much like the Big Healeys.

Alan's point ref the surrey pulling back on the frame is also a valid one. I tried this and it does flex back with the tension.

I eventually set mine with a slightly larger clearance at the top of the screen to allow for this.

Lastly make sure your side glass is adjusted/orientated correctly with the backlight... probably do this first, my passenger side was angled back slightly.

Thanks for all the advice.

Cheers

Darren